How much flow is too much flow?

VKernus

I am new to the hobby and my tank is 4 weeks old. Have been doing well with a blue tang, a fox face and a watchman goby as starter fish.  Yesterday I introduced 6 green chromis, and 1 male/two female anthias.  I am running the new MP 40 pump.  On my previous settings, typically about 52% power, the hippo and fox face move about the tank freely. The new fish seems to stay at the side of the tank opposite the pump. 

Do I have too much flow in the tank?  Am I pinning them to the far side, or are they just getting acclimated?  They are feeding well and otherwise seem to be happy.

Victor

The new fish you added normally prefer the top of the tank so it could be just the type of fish and their habits rather then too much flow. You should post a video and we can get a good look if they are being beaten up by too much flow.

Few links here that could help you out posting a video or an img.

I don't think you have to much flow. By my count, you have 12 fish, and your tank is 4 weeks old? How big is your tank, how long did you cycle?

Those 3 fish you had in your tank already are in my experience bullies. The chromis will probably pick each other off and die, and the anthias are hard to keep in even an established tank. I wouldn't turn to your flow being to much, but that is just my opinion.

The hippo can be a bit of a bully, but he has been pretty good.  The goby likes to grab the hermit crabs and move them into "time out" in the back of the tank.  Rock was cycled before it went into the tank.  Fish were recommended by the guys that set up the tank.  They all seem to be getting along at this time.  Have zoas, a toadstool leather, and some mushrooms.  Will be a month or two more before I can introduce an anemone and clowns or the other fish that I hope to add.  Yes, 12 fish, a bunch of snails, and hermits at the moment.  Had three, added the chromis and anthias yesterday.

I know it seems like a really long time to you, but 4 weeks is nothing in the life of a tank. Consider slowing down with your new additions (stopping with new additions) and focus on keeping what you do have in there going.

I still don't think flow is your issue. How big is your tank?

It is a 90 gallon tank.  No more fish for another month or so at this point.  Coral will be added slowly.  Couple of small zoa frags and a trumpet colony coming soon. 

I understand your comment about time.  This is not my first SW tank, just my first in about 35 years.  It is coming along nicely.  

It is a 90 gallon tank.  No more fish for another month or so at this point.  Coral will be added slowly.  Couple of small zoa frags and a trumpet colony coming soon. 

I understand your comment about time.  This is not my first SW tank, just my first in about 35 years.  It is coming along nicely.  

Well then, welcome back!

This is a place to learn and educate, I look forward to watching your tank progress. Have you considered starting a build thread?

Thanks!  Yes a lot of good information here.  I did think about a build thread, but it is really not "my" build.  The tank was built and is being maintained by ReefeScape.   Phil and his guys/gals are fabulous.  I was very impressed with their shop and most importantly their quarantine program.  Couple the aforementioned two positives with a great rep and close proximity, I did not feel I could go wrong.  :)

Am still getting used to testing water parameters.  They test, but I like to test behind them.  While I may no loner work as an engineer (am a patent attorney now) the scientist side of me likes to be involved and understand everything that is going on.

Yes, they seem to be doing better now.  They are roaming more and don't seem nearly as "pinned" to the far side of the tank.  The MP 40 is so nice.  Quiet and programmable.  The pump I had previously was making me crazy.

flow seems good but i would wait till the tank has been up at least 9 most before getting an anemone and be sure not to get a carpet. welcome back to the hobby

Thanks.  Yes, I am waiting before getting the clowns and anemone.  And have already been cautioned against a carpet.  :)

For now, slowly adding coral and enjoying the tank.

Sen,

That is one of the reasons I switched to the MP40.  My previous pump in addition to being ungodly loud, was clearing the sand from the far corners of the tank.  The MP40 so far has been awesome.