Cleaning Water Storage Tanks

CaptainRon

I was thinking about getting a new water storage tank with the current group-buy that's being discussed. But I started thinking, always a dangerous thing with me, how would I be able to clean it? My current salt water storage tank is just a 20-ish gallon rubbermade storage tote - and I notice that there's oftentimes some residue left behind after making a batch of saltwater that I end up scrubbing out of the tote. My freshwater storage container also has some slime that coats the container after a while that I also scrub out from time to time. The group buy tanks have just a 9" opening and the 75 gallon tank I'm thinking about getting is far deeper than my short arm will reach.

So my question to the collective is, if you have one of these types of tanks, do you clean them? And if so, how?

Ron, I cleaned mine maybe twice a year. I usually just used a paper towel and ro/di water. I was always able to get into mine (barrel) so smaller top, I would imagine a vinegar soak and then an rodi flush. 

Maybe a vinegar bath every so often would do the trick ok. I've just always had containers small enough that my short arms could reach everything. I certainly wouldn't be able to reach the bottom of a 40 inch + tall tank! :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have a 50 gallon and a 100 gallon. I drag them outside (when it is not freezing) and hose them down. If I have time i let them sit on some vinegar water first but basically I just hose them down. 

I use a pole-mounted deck scrub brush, which can be assembled inside of the tank to make it fit.  I scrub the edges and bottom with vinegar, rinse well, then suck out the water with a wet/dry vac and 3 extension wands.  After that, I repeat the process with tap water.  The tiny bit (1/4 cup or so) of tap water left after vacuuming is something I never worried about.

I use a pole-mounted deck scrub brush, which can be assembled inside of the tank to make it fit. I scrub the edges and bottom with vinegar, rinse well, then suck out the water with a wet/dry vac and 3 extension wands. After that, I repeat the process with tap water. The tiny bit (1/4 cup or so) of tap water left after vacuuming is something I never worried about.

Great idea, I am going to have to do something like that. My storage tank is almost 6' tall and has a 1" opening at the top.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Great idea Marc!! Don't know why I didn't think of something so simple to begin with. I just like to scrub these things for some reason. Probably yet another case of me making mountains out of molehills :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I usually write messages in the bottom of the r/o barrel. 

Keep away from my barrel this weekend you Graffiti Monster!  And no turning it into a still :tongue: