Aquatic Life RO Buddie...SWEET!

mrlimpitfish

Got up this morning and I am happy to say that the only water I found was in the bucket and the washing machine.  This little "RO Buddie" is great.  My tap water is coming out a beautiful 0ppm.  I would recommend this to anyone looking for a RO unit.  They also make a 100 gpd model.  The shipping was incredible.  I got it in the day after I ordered it.  The packing was also impressive.  The box had an insert that had the units box shrink wrapped to it.  There was no way it was going to move around during shipping.  I give this 3 snaps in a "Z" formation...lol

Thanks for reading

Thanks for reading.  I had never heard of this unit and found it by accident on Amazon.  After watching a few videos from the Aquatic Life Website, I decided to take the plunge.  How long have you had yours?  Do you also use the "Smart buddie" Booster Pump?  I am going to order one next week but I wanted to check out the RODI unit first.

My pleasure to share.  With products popping up every where and prices rising for everything, I find reviews on products really help us all make decision and ultimately save time, money, and frustration.  Thanks for reading.

Hey Starfish,

Thanks for posting.  Tell me, do you use the booster pump by Aquatic Life?  Also, what has been your experience with replacing media?  My only reservation was that some of the reviews claimed that the refills were hard to come by and very expensive.  Thanks for reading.

I've had this thing for about six months now and it works really well (I don't use the booster pump). I have the DI cartridge and get 0 TDS. My only gripe is that 50GPD is super slow and it takes upwards of three hours to fill the 5G bucket I use for water changes. Other than that, you really can't beat it for the price.

Thanks for the input Seanoli,

I agree, water production is slow.  I almost went with the 100gpd with hopes that it would make water faster.  Instead I started reviewing the booster pump and I think I am going to go that route.  Aquatic Life claims that the booster pump will flush the RO membrane before each use and that it increases clean water output drastically while also drastically reducing waste water output.  So I am going to get one next week and see if the claims are true.  Thanks for reading.

Hey Reeling Reefer,

I am not 100% sure if there is a standard answer to this question.  In my experience with RODI units, the best way to tell if you need to change something is to test the output water for TDS.  The DI resin changes color as it ages so that is a no brainer.  As for the sediment filter and the carbon filter maybe someone with a bit more experience can chime in.  I have always had units that produce gpd amounts that greatly exceed my needs.  I test for tds every six months and based on my use and what the unit is rated for change as needed.  I hope that helps but I don't think I told you anything that you were not already aware of.  Lets see if someone smarter than myself (just about anyone... :laugh:) will chime in.

Thanks for reading and asking a great question.

BRS has a really great idea on how to check for break through of chlorine and chloramine past the carbon block. Run unit for 30 minutes and collect some of the waste water. Use some of the LaMotte chlorine test strips and test for free and total chlorine to find out how much is getting through.

Check out their latest video on YouTube.

--

Warren

Just got mine set up this morning.  I got the 100gpd unit and without a booster pump I'm getting about 50gpd output which is plenty for me, but a little less than I was expecting.  I'll have to see if I can hunt down a pressure gauge to throw on the supply line and see where I'm at, I imagine my pressure is a little lower than I thought.  The waste:product ratio I'm getting is 5:1, which is in line with the bigger units I've had before, so that doesn't seem too bad.  For the amount of water I'll be making (maybe 10-15g/month), I don't know if the improved efficiency of the booster pump would be worth it in the long run for me, but I'm interested to see your results Andre.