cleaning crew and QT

Fishie

Hey guys I need to refresh my cleaning crew....I've usually just gotten them from a lfs or online without any issues.

but I want to make sure that I am not introducing any coral eating parasites that hitchhiked with them.

should I QT them with a bayer kind of mx or dewromer or just simply dip them in revive

I don't want to take any chances of introducing red bugs or anything else.

if concerned with parasites/disease you should quarantine your inverts, yes. we quarantine all macro and inverts for a little over two months in large batches for this reason. it's about once a week now I'm told or read about a fish tank being nuked due to lack of quarantine of one's inverts, macro, frags, etc. I'd rather not roll the dice when so much is at stake.

Heck yeah, QT inverts too. They can carry any type of pathogens. I do a minimum of 10 weeks as most parasites can't live that long without a host. I use a 10g tank with a sponge filter and perform weekly water changes. Much easier than QT'ing fish. A couple pinches of flake food and a piece of nori keeps them fed. 

if concerned with parasites/disease you should quarantine your inverts, yes. we quarantine all macro and inverts for a little over two months in large batches for this reason. it's about once a week now I'm told or read about a fish tank being nuked due to lack of quarantine of one's inverts, macro, frags, etc. I'd rather not roll the dice when so much is at stake.

Marco- Do you treat the CUC with anything or just observe them? I know that Bayer will kill inverts. Thx

Marco- Do you treat the CUC with anything or just observe them? I know that Bayer will kill inverts. Thx

I do not treat. I quarantine CUCs groups at a time for at least 72 days.

we don't medicate the fish or inverts.

we simply feed them a high quality diet and provide them a super clean and sheltered environment.

3-5% mortality rate due to existing conditions and some loss from predation. some things ship poorly no matter what.

I think of it as a transition tank with water chemistry that approximates the majority of the tanks that they'll go in. It seems to work rather well and we rarely lose any of these animals after final destination.

Edited by zygote2k

QT dosent necessarily mean you are treating with medication and is a loosely used term. People could use that term when getting a new fish or invert or anything in and just keep them in a holding tank for a period of time to just observe that they are eating or to make sure they are healthy. The term QT is very loosely used.

QT dosent necessarily mean you are treating with medication and is a loosely used term. People could use that term when getting a new fish or invert or anything in and just keep them in a holding tank for a period of time to just observe that they are eating or to make sure they are healthy. The term QT is very loosely used.

+1. Some people consider a QT different from a hospital tank in that the QT is only for observation and the HT is for medicating. I personally use my QT for both for observation and for treatments if necessary.

I understand that, I'm just leery because fish can carry a disease without showing symptoms. Isolation and QT are two different procedures and IMO the only way to know 100% that your new fish are free from disease is by use of prophylactic treatment. 

• 3 weeks later...