Battery Backups (UPS)

Bruleyii

I was just curious on some your guys thoughts. I don't have a battery backup yet but with the storms we have been having, although light, got me a little scared if the power goes out. I have a few questions:

How long can a tank go without power? Im sure some of this has to do with how quick the temperature in the house drops too.

What all should be on backup?

Does it have to be a saltwater specific backup? Can I just use one for computer? Whats the difference?

What size should I get?

Just some concerns running through my head. My current tank is a 37g with LED lights. I have a mixture of corals (soft, LPS, SPS) and a few fish.

Thanks in advance.

How long a tank can go without power depends on stocking levels. A lighter stocked tank will be better off than a tank full of fish.

Battery back ups are fine for small amp items like air pumps and power heads. Larger items like main pumps and heaters will draw down an UPS quickly. They are great for keeping a tank going with basic circulation and aeration. If it is going to be a long outage, over say eight hours you will want a small generator. Wrapping a blanket around the tank to keep it warm helps and i wouldn't worry about lights as a tank can go days with no lights.

There are calculators online that can help you. Add up the wattage of your pumps or the basics of what you need running and the calc will tell you the run time for a certain size unit.

http://www.sizemyups.com/ajaxlib.php

A small power inverter can keep a pump running. stabilizing temp is the real problem. You cannot run a heater off a power inverter. You CAN use a generator but you have to be home to start it (or an inverter) up.

image_16091.jpg

Thanks for the response.

There is no alternative for a generator? I currently rent a small townhouse and that isn't an option. If I have say a 2 or 3 day power outage (not very likely, but Im a believer of prepare for the worst and hope for the best) my tank will be screwed?

I'm surprised you can't have a generator. Is it because of noise? They make some tiny quiet ones that won't power much but are more than enough for the necessary items that you would need to run on your tank(s). Just set it on the back porch and run an ext cord.

I'm surprised you can't have a generator. Is it because of noise? They make some tiny quiet ones that won't power much but are more than enough for the necessary items that you would need to run on your tank(s). Just set it on the back porch and run an ext cord.

I don't have a back porch and very little space for storage. It's not that they don't allow me it's just I don't have room.

I think the portable Hondas are really quiet like the Honda 1000 or 2000 watt

I don't have $1000 right now. That would take a little longer planning. But again just don't have room for storage. Maybe the next place.

If your running Jebao or Ecotech, both companies offer their own battery backup good for a good for a good number of hours depending on pump size and rate.

--

Warren

I kind of have a hodgepodge setup going. Mostly pieced together from parts borrowed, parts donated and parts found cheap. My tank is like the ratrod of aquariums. Lol

If I couldn't have a generator and had frequent power outtages i might look at using a deep cycle marine battery or 2 with an inverter and trickle charger. Like having a ups but stronger, I think. I would want to power a heater and something to create an air exchange. Either a big bubbler or some sort of pump.

Thanks guys. You all have been very helpful. You all have given me a direction for some research.