Looking for suggestions for adding fish to my 75g reef tank

Curtis Scott

I currently have a bare bottom 75g mixed reef tank with a purple tang and a melanurus wrasse. 

I would like to add a few more fish to the tank and I'm looking for recommendations. I'm leaning toward dart fish, cardinal fish, or chromis.  What else should I consider?

Does the wrasse eat your snails and hermits?

He definitely loves to hunt, but I haven't ever seen him pick at my snails or crabs. He gets fed LRS Reef frenzy daily which keeps him fat and happy.

They also are sand dwellers if not mistaken.

He has a container of fine sand he sleeps in. While I know this isn't ideal, he is a very healthy and personable fish.

Did you have any suggestions for new tank mates for them?

All those are good choices. I'm not much on any other than the firefish in the dart family but that's my opinion. Clowns are always a good first choice.

I like banggais.

hey Curtis, glad to help. what is the temperament of the purple and wrasse? what is their size? what does the aquascape look like? is it very minimalistic or looks of caves and under-hangs? what motivates you to select a fish for your tank? what aspects of the fish do you enjoy most? how often are you able to feed the LRS or other foods? how big is that fine sand container?

all of these topics are things to consider for the long-term health of the specimens and maximum appreciation by you of the fish. it'd be great to get some more detail.

If you'd like to talk fish and a stocking plan for your tank in detail via PM, I do this for lots of folk which helps avoid some common impulse buys that don't always pan out like we wish, and would be happy to help out!

Edited by monkiboy

He definitely loves to hunt, but I haven't ever seen him pick at my snails or crabs. He gets fed LRS Reef frenzy daily which keeps him fat and happy.

He has a container of fine sand he sleeps in. While I know this isn't ideal, he is a very healthy and personable fish.

Did you have any suggestions for new tank mates for them?

Marcos is defintely great at helping you with a stocking plan!  All the WAMAS vendors are very helpful.

Also, Sharkey breeds bengaii cardinals, so if you're interested in that species, I'd recommend asking her when her next brood will be available. Buying from her helps support a WAMAS member, as well as helps support the captive breeding of a threatened species.

Apologies for the delayed response on this topic. 

I say a harem of anthias

I would love to have anthias. Sadly I know my feeding regiment might not be suitable for them to thrive. 

hey Curtis, glad to help. what is the temperament of the purple and wrasse? what is their size? what does the aquascape look like? is it very minimalistic or looks of caves and under-hangs? what motivates you to select a fish for your tank? what aspects of the fish do you enjoy most? how often are you able to feed the LRS or other foods? how big is that fine sand container?

all of these topics are things to consider for the long-term health of the specimens and maximum appreciation by you of the fish. it'd be great to get some more detail.

If you'd like to talk fish and a stocking plan for your tank in detail via PM, I do this for lots of folk which helps avoid some common impulse buys that don't always pan out like we wish, and would be happy to help out!

Thanks Marco! I'll get these questions answered and PM you ASAP.

Marcos is defintely great at helping you with a stocking plan!  All the WAMAS vendors are very helpful.

Also, Sharkey breeds bengaii cardinals, so if you're interested in that species, I'd recommend asking her when her next brood will be available. Buying from her helps support a WAMAS member, as well as helps support the captive breeding of a threatened species.

Thank you for the info on the bengai cardinals, good to know. 

Since I posted this topic I’ve thought about starting completely over with stocking fish. My tang is getting too big and needs to be re-homed soon. The wrasse is beautiful and I’d love to keep him, but I could see him being a bully to new smaller fish. That being said, I’d like some guidance in determining what fish I should consider.

What is the temperament of the purple and wrasse?
Tang is mild mannered, but out growing the tank.

Wrasse is always hunting and pecking the rocks and at times a bully when it comes to feeding them. He eats mostly at first then the tang.

What is their size?
Purple Tang is ~3.5”
Wrasse is ~4”+

What does the aquascape look like? is it very minimalistic or looks of caves and under-hangs?
There are many hiding places for small fish and 2-3 cave like areas for medium/larger sized fish. Check out a FTS here  (bad pic)

What motivates you to select a fish for your tank?
Unfortunately, the fish I have are starting to out grow my tank. I would like to have more fish in general.

What aspects of the fish do you enjoy most?
Good reef mate, color, personality, and will it thrive in my set up.

How often are you able to feed the LRS or other foods?
I feed the reef frenzy once daily and use New Era Aquaculture 110gm MarineGrazers every couple days for the tang, but the wrasse picks at it too.

How big is that fine sand container?
6x6 pyrex bowl about 3.5” tall with 2” of sand in it.

....................................................................................................................................................................

The only fish I've thought would be nice to have is a small White Tail Bristletooth Tang and a good hunting wrasse, maybe a small six-line since they don't require sand. I also like schooling fish like dart fish and chromis (but I know these guys can be aggressive).

Since I'm deciding to start over with stocking new fish, what do you guys think about the above and what else should I consider?

Not sure on your reasoning for the bare bottom but in doing so, you're missing out on so much (not judging at all so please don't take it like that). Gobies and pistols have one of the coolest relationships to watch in the aquarium (highly subjective of course). The diversity that ends up living in the sand is pretty incredible and adds another dynamic that is otherwise missed. I'm not going to tie the substrate to any benefit or detriment to the health of the tank, only the cool factor that the additional critters bring to the display. Early in my hobby adventure (obsession is more appropriate I imagine) I went through a phase where I wanted the more exotic fish (and corals at the time) but that subsided over time (there are still a few things that I really want of course) and I shifted to fish that were prone to doing well in a closed system. I didn't care for the banggai cardinals initially (I remember when they initially started popping up in stores and were going for ~$100) but have really come to appreciate them the last couple of years because of their very unique shape. I never had firefish in my early tanks because I looked at the price and was put off for some dumb reason but now they're near the top of my must have list because they're flat out gorgeous (and the way they move adds a great dynamic to the tank as well). Royal grammas were kind of lumped into the same situation but they're great too (always darting in and out of rocks). While they may not have the instant wow factor that other fish can provide, they all move slightly different and/or occupy different areas in the aquarium that just add something cool.

Not saying you are/were but don't be like me and make silly decisions just because. Think a few steps out and picture what they will look like against the rest of the stuff in your tank vice they appearance you see with just the fish. Contrasting shapes and colors can really make something pop when they're together when it otherwise may not. Peaceful community fish really add something as they tend to be out and about vice hiding and waiting their turn.

Not sure on your reasoning for the bare bottom but in doing so, you're missing out on so much (not judging at all so please don't take it like that). Gobies and pistols have one of the coolest relationships to watch in the aquarium (highly subjective of course). The diversity that ends up living in the sand is pretty incredible and adds another dynamic that is otherwise missed. I'm not going to tie the substrate to any benefit or detriment to the health of the tank, only the cool factor that the additional critters bring to the display. Early in my hobby adventure (obsession is more appropriate I imagine) I went through a phase where I wanted the more exotic fish (and corals at the time) but that subsided over time (there are still a few things that I really want of course) and I shifted to fish that were prone to doing well in a closed system. I didn't care for the banggai cardinals initially (I remember when they initially started popping up in stores and were going for ~$100) but have really come to appreciate them the last couple of years because of their very unique shape. I never had firefish in my early tanks because I looked at the price and was put off for some dumb reason but now they're near the top of my must have list because they're flat out gorgeous (and the way they move adds a great dynamic to the tank as well). Royal grammas were kind of lumped into the same situation but they're great too (always darting in and out of rocks). While they may not have the instant wow factor that other fish can provide, they all move slightly different and/or occupy different areas in the aquarium that just add something cool.

Not saying you are/were but don't be like me and make silly decisions just because. Think a few steps out and picture what they will look like against the rest of the stuff in your tank vice they appearance you see with just the fish. Contrasting shapes and colors can really make something pop when they're together when it otherwise may not. Peaceful community fish really add something as they tend to be out and about vice hiding and waiting their turn.

I understand. Prior to my current set up I had sand. I like how clean I can keep my bare bottom tank and plan to stick with it for now. I'm just thinking of sixline because they don't require sand.

(edited)

I started putting together a list. 

One of the following:

White Tail Bristletooth Tang (small, currently out of stock)

Kole Yellow Eye Tang (med 3-1/4" to 4-1/4”, might be too big for my tank?)

One of the following:

3 x Black Axil Chromis (med)

3 x Blue/Green Reef Chromis (small)

3 x Kaudern's Cardinal, Captive-Bred (small)

&

2 x Firefish, Purple (Indonesia)

Six Line Wrasse (med)

Tail Spot Blenny (currently out of stock)

Midas Blenny (small)

Ideally I would order everything at the same time, but with a couple fish not in stock, it might not be possible. I look forward to knowing what you guys think about the list. Any recommendations or other considerations?

Edited by Curtis Scott

I bought my Kole at Quantum Reefs and it was the same price as LA, and he was young and incredibly healthy. He spends all day picking algae off the rocks and glass and has a nice, peaceful disposition (so far). He and my yellow tang even traverse the tank together and sleep in the same area. Last time I was at QR they had another juvenile kole in stock. Reef eScape would also probably have most of what you are looking for, and they are close to Centreville. They keep odd hours, but they have a solid pre-sale treatment and quarantine program.

I wouldn't put a sixline with firefish. Mine has killed two of them and I've heard of many others that have done the same, especially in a 4' tank where they'll be swimming through the same parts of the aquarium. You might get lucky, but why risk it? Firefish are really timid and sixlines become jerks as they mature (though they are really cool fish if their tankmates won't be bullied).