Question for people who own a Coralife Biocube

Matt LeBaron

I am thinking of the getting the 29 gallon version of the Corlife Biocube to house my three seahores so that I can totally gut my current 90G DT and redo it. I have read in a couple of places though that it can tend to run very hot, getting upwards of 80 degrees just with the stock equipment. Since it would just be for the seahorses I wouldn't want the temperature to be over 75 ideally so that is a concern that I'd like to get some input on from people who own one.

I'm looking for an AIO solution that is not going to break the bank for me and the Coralife Biocube may be it if the temeprature isn't a problem.

Thanks,

I think with the cover and the stock bulbs so close maintaining 75 may be an issue.  Look into the JBJ rimless 30 and cheap clamp on led or something.   My LED biocube ran around 78 with the lid on.

Open top and led would surely be easier to maintain temp.

Edited by BowieReefer84

I've been running one for a week, I don't have a heater in it, it gets warm stock. I'm not running anything but lights and pump. I would take the suggestion above, but would be prepared to have an alternative. IMO stock will not work for your needs.

I might see if I can find one of the older innovative marine 30 gallons. I want a taller rather than wider tank and the new IM 30 gallon is a long tank.

Thanks for the info folks, saved me a wasted $300.

I might see if I can find one of the older innovative marine 30 gallons. I want a taller rather than wider tank and the new IM 30 gallon is a long tank.

Thanks for the info folks, saved me a wasted $300.

I had one with retrofit Ecoxotic LED's and it was a little warm, I think DC reefer has a 4ft Frag tank for sale not sure if that's a little big

I'm looking for a small tank 20-30 gallons and I want an AIO so I don't have to spend a ton of time on a new setup. I just really need a home for my three seahorses and my fire fish while I redo my DT. My pajama cardinals will end up in my Frag tank while I totally redesign my DT. I figure the seahorses will likely live another 4-5 years and then my daughter will be around 7-8 years old and I'll let her pick out what she wants for the tank and it can be hers.

I'm looking for a small tank 20-30 gallons and I want an AIO so I don't have to spend a ton of time on a new setup. I just really need a home for my three seahorses and my fire fish while I redo my DT. My pajama cardinals will end up in my Frag tank while I totally redesign my DT. I figure the seahorses will likely live another 4-5 years and then my daughter will be around 7-8 years old and I'll let her pick out what she wants for the tank and it can be hers.

Find a BC HQI w/out the lid and metal halide. It will keep temps down. Then use whatever to light it. You could always put it in a colder area of your house and use a heater to keep it in your low temp range, if it's going to be temporary. Just a thought.

Or just a reg cube and Ditch the lid. Get a cheap led to light it. If you are only keeping seahorses and no coral this should be fine. They don't like blasting light anyway do they? you can find a 2nd hand cube on here and richmond reefers for probly 150-200 range

I'd be transplanting my sea grass and maybe some Zoa's and Gorg so I need a fixture that can put out a bit of usable light, I just don't need super power LED's or halides for it. I'll have to shop around a bit and find something that will work. The setup will be permanent for my seahorses though.

A kessil 150 should be enough. 225$ or even a 350 you can get for 299$

An a150 would be perfect.

You might have to be alright with a fan clipped off the back, at least in the summer when it gets wicked hot and everyone's AC's are working OT.

Have you done a Google search yet to see if anyone is keeping ponys in a BC? I may follow suit when I get my next dt setup and have this 29 left over, always wanted to try my hand at seahorse.

You can install a small computer fan in the back corner of the lid and cool that bad boy down a bunch. I did a write up on here of putting a couple fans in the feeding door, but had to move the fan to back corner since the flap fell into the tank.