Fish for nooks and crannies??

Reefer_Madness

Dottyback's are really flashy and interactive, but they can be mean little buggers. Orchid's are supposed to be the least aggressive of the dottybacks, but that's like being the nicest of the bullies. I had an orchid dottyback that was starting to display aggression so I had to rehome him. If you want some movement in the tank and a really attractive semi-aggressive fish, you could also look into a sixline wrasse. Mine's a jerk to anything timid or small (he and the dottyback ganged up on a firefish when I had them both) but they spend most of the day darting around the tank and being attractive. He spends a bunch of time working in and out of the rockwork and doesn't bug anyone else in the tank (randalls goby, clown pair, yellow tang, kole tang), but I would hesitate to put a smaller fish than him in there (same with a dottyback). He isn't any more or less aggressive than the dottyback, and I liked his color and personality more, so I kept him over the orchid. He also has never touched any of my inverts (skunk cleaner, peppermint, pair of sexy shrimp, many types of crabs and snails). 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a trio of blue or a trio of yellow Assessors? They swim upside down along rock openings and caves and are excellent fish. 

Fancy Gumdrop Coral Crouchers like holes/nooks and crannies- ARVGbC.jpg

Reef safe, does have a venomous dorsal fin, very small (1.5" or so). I love mine.

I second both of these

What do you guys think about this combo?

Royal Gamma

Orchid Dottyback

Clown Goby

Or should I get a trio of assessors and one of the above?

I don't have a cover for my tank so the jumping jawfish make me a little nervous.

I won't introduce them all at the same time of course. 

My orchid attacked my clown goby when I had them in the same setup - basically chased him all over the tank whenever the goby entered any open space. Had to move the goby to a nano. Not sure if I had an ornery one, but that was my experience. 

Per Tropical Fish Magazine: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/dottybackschoose-carefully.htm

" As with other dottybacks, [the orchid] is a meat eater that should have at least one meal per day. One minor drawback is that it tends to jump out of aquariums, but covering any open areas should do the trick."

I'm not trying to dissuade you from an orchid dottyback in general. I really like them, and they're a beautiful and interesting fish, but these are things to keep in mind. Unlike my sixline, the dottyback never killed any other fish, but it bullied the H-E-double hockey sticks out of my firefish and clown goby, and would sometimes lunge at my randall goby. If I only had slightly larger fish in my setup, I'd absolutely include an orchid dottyback. Others may have different experiences with them, though. Choosing fish that get along seems to be 80% research and 20% luck.

Sixline wrasse do a ton of weaving in and out of the rocks. Royal grammas are also really good about exploring all the nooks and crannies or your rockwork. Scooter blennies add a nice dimension to this as they hop around. Pistol gobies (Randalls are one of my favorite fish on earth) and their companion add another awesome aspect but they are going to find a spot they like and dig under a rock. They wont move once they establish their home and they will always live in the sand bed. I've had Yashas and Randalls; like another member posted, my Yasha was exceptionally reclusive. My Randalls however was always keeping watch. Yellow Watchmans are great too; beautiful and lots of character but again, they will find a spot and stick too it and are low down in the sand bed. Hawks are great for moving in and out of the rocks, flame hawks bounce around like crazy and have a lot of character as well.

This guy was always out and about and because he was so outgoing, the tiger banded pistol he was paired with was very confident and would move about the tank. On the down side, he would pretty much bury the clam every evening LOL.

oldtank_zps4d32ee7f.jpg

Edited by madweazl

I also want to take back everything I said about my yasha's reclusiveness. Once he figured out my presence means food, he's been out and about and even lunges at his tankmates when they get too close to his cave (clown pair, yellow clown goby, skunk cleaner shrimp). That said, it may be because there is not a single threatening fish in that tank, so he's realized he has nothing to fear. Given his earlier temperament, I'm not sure I'd get the same reaction if he was in a tank with an orchid/sixline/gramma, etc.

Beautiful tank, Madweazl.

I've never had one particularly aggressive. They tend to posture in smaller tanks but I've never had one nip or harass other inhabitants. Biggest issue I've had with them over the years is that they are glutens and tend to ****** up the anything you spot feed on principle alone! They are however, exceptionally busy and fascinating to observe.

• 2 weeks later...

Swissguard and Swales' basslets also move in and out of crannies, and have not been aggressive in my tanks.  If you have a spare $700 or so, a carmabi basslet would be great.  

Squishie - Where did you find that Gum Drop?  I have looked and looked for one!!

LA Divers Dens usually gets them in as pairs. They have them relatively frequently. Set up an e-mail alert for "Fancy Gumdrop Coral Croucher" and hopefully you can snag some soon =) Looks like they last had them a month ago so I would not be surprised if they show up soon. Also you will need to grab them up quick, these guys ALWAYS sell, and usually within the first hour.

Edited by Squishie89

LA Divers Dens usually gets them in as pairs. They have them relatively frequently. Set up an e-mail alert for "Fancy Gumdrop Coral Croucher" and hopefully you can snag some soon =) Looks like they last had them a month ago so I would not be surprised if they show up soon. Also you will need to grab them up quick, these guys ALWAYS sell, and usually within the first hour.

Done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Done!

Some people are put off by this, so just so you are aware, they do have a venomous spine. Let me know if I can be of any more help!

Some people are put off by this, so just so you are aware, they do have a venomous spine. Let me know if I can be of any more help!

I know they are venomous, but are they one of those fish that take everything out if they die like Boxfish?

I think they are very pretty.

I know they are venomous, but are they one of those fish that take everything out if they die like Boxfish?

I think they are very pretty.

Short answer: I have no idea. My best guess is no. Long answer: I got mine original as a pair, with a female. While in QT she decided to not eat and I think also had some parasites and ended up dying, the male was perfectly fine.

I love my little dude and he is pretty much my favorite fish (don't tell the others =X).

Edited by Squishie89

Ok. Got a Royal Gramma.

Now my guests are:

Royal Gramma

Hawkfish

Clown

Foxface one spot

List of possible invitees:

Gumdrop

Trio of blue assessors

Yellow clown goby

Nice! Those are going to be really nice. Are you ordering them or did you find them locally? They seem to be really expensive online.

In the process of tracking them down. Everyone seems to be out at the moment. Looks like they aren't too cheap at $50ish.