birdsnest colony missing flesh at base

Fritz0id3937

I have a large green birdnest colony. Its a little bigger than a grapefruit. I noticed the base is missing some flesh and is bone white. The base can't get any light. Is this normal? Will it spread? Do I need to hurry up and frag the colony in case it spreads?

Base probably has flesh but won't be colored without light but it's OK. Everyone's birdsnest looks this way once it gets up to size.

Base probably has flesh but won't be colored without light but it's OK. Everyone's birdsnest looks this way once it gets up to size.

What Alan said.

I hope so. But its only half of the base, in the vertical direction there is a bone white patch about a centimeter or 2 high from the very base that meets the rock. I can see colorish greyish flesh on the other half but one side is def bone white. I'll keep an eye on it and frag a piece or 2 soon anyways.

I have a large green birdnest colony. Its a little bigger than a grapefruit. I noticed the base is missing some flesh and is bone white. The base can't get any light. Is this normal? Will it spread? Do I need to hurry up and frag the colony in case it spreads?

I got a piece from a friend than was all skeleton with about 3mm on the tip of 1 branch still alive, I put it on a frag rack about 2 months ago and it came back, the base still looks dead but the rest of it is growing well

All birdnest colonies die out at the bottom once they get large. The bottom is where the sun don't shine lol killing that portion. I can post some pics or PM you pics of my 3 colonies if it helps. Now what you don't want to see is the skin flaking off and away slowly. (STN)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave it be. People will tell you to frag it but I havnt had luck with it IME. Something stressed it out and IMO fragging it up just stresses it out more. I'll give you a small frag of it free or you can buy one of my colony's I had posted

0f02de9e185ac8f90ad06f7fdad42827.jpg

Lights are off right now so here is an old pic. See at the bottom how the polyps are white? They are light starved. Look further down to bottom of the bird nest and you will see the dead part. Usually if there is solid white bone it is freshly flaked off skin. See in the pic how the dead part has dark algae or dirt on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still not sold on the fact that it's STN. But as far as it's recovery if it were STN they can recover if things stay stable. First you have to identify the cause of STN. Usually for me it was Alk fluctuation directly causing the PH to spike because I wouldn't run the alk through a doser. Even large water change can cause temp, alk or PH spike shocking the SPS the STN. One thing I had noticed was that the STN would happen days after the mistake sometimes a lot longer. Is the colony new or was it raised from a frag?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you post a picture?

Honestly, its really quite difficult to kill birdsnest, I know its an SPS but they really do well under most conditions.

trust me I cant keep xenia and Kenya trees alive but my Birdsnest grows like crazy

I'll try to post one this weekend. Kinda hard best its a hard angle to see. Looks to be staying the same, can't tell if its improving or getting worse. But the rest of the coral looks better after I did a water change. I am going to try to do better at keeping my alk stable.