Need Help With Potential Disease/Fungus

Ironf18

I need to identify what disease my fish have acquired. I currently have a 120 gal. tank with a 39 gal refugium. I run a  DC12000 at ~50% as a return pump, I have an Avast CS1 Skimmer that seems to be doing a great job. I also have a dual GFO and carbon reactor that has kept any gross algae blooms in check. The live stock consists of two green chromis, one six stripe wrasse, one coral beauty angel, one fire shrimp, and two emerald crabs. Tank has been set up since October and went through the cycling process relatively smoothly. PH is at 8.1, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 15 -20. I do a 10% water change weekly using RO/DI water and Red Sea Reef Salt. The only cause of any perceived stress is when I must catch up with top off water. I seem to just lose water to evaporation like crazy. I tend to have to add two to three gallons each day. Problem is that I am forced to do this at night before bed and again when I get home from work in the evening. I add the RO/DI water to the first chamber of the refug. in order to limit any severe temp change. I haven’t selected a top off system yet, but I know it is a necessity. Any recommendations are most welcome.

The chromis have been in the tank since I started the cycling process. I originally started with three, but lost one after about a month. The other two have been doing fine until recently; both are eating well and are very active. Recently I have noticed a white, very pronounced, bump on the head of the larger one and one other white fuzzy marking on its side below the dorsal fin, Additionally, his mouth seems to be a bit misshapen, almost like he has a growth of some kind in his mouth.  The coral beauty has only been in the tank for three weeks or so, eats mostly algae off the rocks and has become a bit more visible and comfortable. The coral beauty has now acquired two small white fuzzy spots, also on its side just below the dorsal fin. What can it be, and how can I treat for it? I’m afraid that I wouldn’t be able to get them out of there to treat event if I had a small quarantine tank set up for treatments.

From the description, it's possibly lymph (lymphocystis). It's a viral infection, often times presenting symptoms if the fish are stressed (fighting, water quality issues, diet, etc.). If otherwise looking fine, clean up the tank and feed a good diet and see if their condition improves (something with a decent oil/fat content or an immune booster like selcon maybe?). If the situation is bad and the fish is weak or being harassed, you may have to remove it to isolation (QT) to allow it to get healthy again.

Also, with the tank that you're describing, I would normally expect evaporation to be on the order of 1.5-2 gallons per day, so you're not that far off. So you're probably seeing a 2% shift in salinity - more like 1% if you're topping off twice per day. I don't think that 's bad enough to induce the stress. However, it's a real maintenance headache and one that, if you get yourself an auto top-off, you'll never miss (and will enjoy the hobby a lot more). Spend a few bucks and get an ATO and I'm willing to bet that you'll be glad that you did.

I certainly will get an ATO soon. Any suggestions? I was hoping to run one from the RO/DI source, but it seems that most run off another source such as a nother vinyl garbage can with the RO/DI water only. I'm filling up space with rubbermaid garbage cans. If you have a good recommended model it would be most appreciated.

I'll second Monkiboy's recommendation. As for running any ATO directly off your RO/DI, it's often discouraged because you put your tank or floor at risk.  Should something go wrong with the ATO (a sensor slips or the tubing bringing water to your tank slips out of the sump, an ATO that's attached to the RO/DI will just run and run without stopping (and do a lot of damage in the process). By taking your ATO water out of a reservoir of limited size, at least you have some control over the maximum amount of water that can be delivered to the tank.

Copy, that makes perfect sense. Much appreciated. I like the CS1 skimmer from Avast so I'll check out their ATO.