Order of rarity for ricordea

Keraxis

So I wanted to start a conversation about the order of rarity when it comes to ricordea.  I think it goes

Brown - Most common

Green

Blue - I have heard they turn green under MH

Orange

Red

Yellow

Pink

Yuma are rarer then florida. 

Would you agree with this order?

I don't think R. yuma is more rare than florida, just not seen as much around here because they come from the other side of the globe.

As far as colors of R. florida go, I don't see many browns. From my diving and collecting experience in Florida I'd say the green and orange are about equal as being most common.

How red are the reds?

The R. florida doesn't normally have a strong true red, closest things are dark oranges. There are some R. yuma that I would say are true reds. I think the R. yuma species has more vibrant colors and rainbow varieties but it is not as hardy as the R. florida.

(edited)

How red are the reds?

They are really red.. This is the one that made me fall in love with ricordea.  Its about 2 inches round.  Looks alittle orange in the picture but its red.

post-2635153-0-89412000-1421356599_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keraxis

I've heard that if you place a light green ric deep in the water it will become more of a bright green.  So it may be that the different colors of green are the same animals, just from different depths.

They are really red.. This is the one that made me fall in love with ricordea.  Its about 2 inches round.  Looks alittle orange in the picture but its red.

The one you have pictured looks like a R. yuma but it isn't a clear picture.

this one looks like a regular mushroom. Ricordea always have 'tentacles' but they're more like raised bumps but definitely bumpier than the one pictured.

FWIW, BITD we used to order Ricordea Rock from the gulf for $6.99/# wholesale. We would get blue and green regularly and orange was the rare color. The rock was festooned with ricordea.

(edited)

It could be.  The parent it came from is bumpier but mine is in direct flow right off a mp10.  My bumps are smaller it would seem.  Not saying your wrong.  I have other rics that look much more normal but i love this red one even if its not... just so bright. The bumps are very uniformed so it would be a yuma if it were.  It almost looks like a hairy mushroom that never grew its hair.  The reason i think its a yuma ric is because the pearls go row of big.. row of small.... maybe ill move it to less flow and see if the pearls fatten up.  Its really getting blasted but seems to love it

Got a teal/green ric last night before my light started messing up....... looks great.  

Edited by Keraxis