Hair Algae

RTElite12

I just got back from a trip and noticed some hair algae in the tank. Theres not a lot and its mostly on one rock and one powerhead. I just cut my feeding in half and my protein skimmer and carbon reactor have been running all throughout the process. I had my lights on for 8 hours a day, but I just shortened it to 6 1/2 hours a day. I am going to go in the tank and try to pull out as much as I can. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of it and prevent this from happening in the future?

My tank isn`t big enough for a tang. It`s only a 30 gallon display. Running GFO and possibly dosing some sort of phosphate remover could be done. I only have two clownfish so bio-load isn`t a problem, and like I said, I cut the food amount in half to see the results.

Do you think it would be smart to get a small tang to put in with the two clowns to help with algae and switch it out for a smaller one when it gets to big?

I didn't know your tank is 30 gallon. I personally would not put a tang in there, how about some turbo snails, 1 or 2 should be ok.

That's what I thought. I have two turbo snails already so Maybe one or two more might help. It just might all be new tank syndrome or something like that. The tank has only been up for a little less than six months I think.

...  Is there anything else I can do to get rid of it and prevent this from happening in the future?

50% water change out. I've done gazillions of them and my tank always looked better after. You will take out half the nitrates that are in the water. BUT ensure salinity and temp match very closely

Yeah, thats a possibility, but I am going to run GFO with my carbon in my reactor and will probably get a lawnmower blenny and some more snails or something like that.