Flow Alteration

Caribbean Jake

I wonder if it is a good practice to do the following.

Let's take for example a Mag 9 wich pushes 950 GPH, and we have an overflow that allows for 800GPH. Right of the bat the input flow is higher than the output flow. so..

Can you install a ball valve on the inlet tube and regulate the amount of water from the Mag 9 into the tank in order to equilibrate/balance the output flow with the overflow capacity?

Inlet tube? You mean the input/suction side of the MAG? No, that's not a good idea. You can regulate the output side of the MAG without consequence but an even better approach is to dump excess flow back into the sump with a "T" & a valve.

Outlet tube- is the tube into the tank. Sorry for the confussion. So yes, you can put a ball valve on the outlet tube of the mag 9 and it will not affect the operation of the pump. right?

great, cause I'm looking into increasing the flow through the tank and accelerate the skimming so I can finally have a clean water tank... that is on my 125G. I did something similar on my 55G and the water is so crystal clear... I can't wait to do the same on the 125.

Thank you for the input Erik.

Jacob

Inlet tube? You mean the input/suction side of the MAG? No, that's not a good idea. You can regulate the output side of the MAG without consequence but an even better approach is to dump excess flow back into the sump with a "T" & a valve.

55465[/snapback]

While I agree that the best method is to install a T to make a bypass, I have to chime in on your first assertion. A Mag pump is a centrifugal pump. And yes you can put back pressure on a centrifugal pump via a throttling valve. This does increase the wear on the pump, most noteably the impeller. And if you throttle it too much you can end up overheating some pumps (depending on the configuration many do rely to a certain extent on the fluid being moved to cool the impeller bushings.)