Fallow period

Wrench

8 weeks is what I found when reading. I would think if you could/can, go for gold and do 12!

I'd honestly go a full 6 months. It'll give the tank a chance to bounce back after housing fish for so long. Corals, inverts, and micro-organisms should thrive during that time period.

Even if I had no fish to worry about I doubt I'd do 6 months. I haven't seen any evidence to support a theory that more than 12 weeks is beneficial. The corals and other inverts are doing fine in the main system. Some acros have become a little pale due to the lack of nutrients but overall they're ok. 

My biggest worry is the fish. Even 10 weeks is a long time for a fish to be housed in a relatively sterile, unnatural environment. 

Tony, I think 10 is good.  The main thing is to ensure the treated fish are RID of the ich.  The tank fallow for 10 weeks is plenty.

Are you using copper or hypo salinity to treat the fish in QT? 

I would do 10 weeks after they no longer display signs.

Tony, I think 10 is good.  The main thing is to ensure the treated fish are RID of the ich.  The tank fallow for 10 weeks is plenty.

Are you using copper or hypo salinity to treat the fish in QT? 

I would do 10 weeks after they no longer display signs.

I am doing two courses of copper treatment on all fish in addition to PraziPro and antibiotics. 

I would recommend the tank tranfer method (with 5 gallon buckets?) before putting them in quarantine.

I have a few sensitive fish who wouldn't tolerate TTM very well. 

My recommendation of fallow for 6 months isn't from nothing- I had Marine Velvet outbreak in a client's tank and all fish except one Purple Tang quickly died over the course of 2-3 days. I kept the Purple Tang in a QT bucket for 4 months and the tank was completely fishless during those 4 months. When I put the Tang back in, it died within 2 days from velvet.

Conventional Ick fallow times state 12 weeks to be completely free, but since this hobby is full of surprises, why not double the fallow-times to be completely sure and to prevent fish from dying and money from going down the drain?

• 6 months later...