Extreme cloudiness, probably bacterial bloom

MrSexyShrimp

MBVette had a similar issue early last year. He showed pictures in this thread. Your situation may or may not be similar. In his case, after he was stymied for 3 weeks with cloudiness that we all assumed was a bacterial bloom, I stopped by and noticed a greenish tint to the water in his sump (it was very subtle and not really noticeable when you looked at the tank because of the blue background). By the time I got there, you couldn't see the back of the tank and could barely make out the rock. It turned out that his tank was inundated with a single-celled, free-floating algae. I suggested using a diatom filter to filter them out (and to loan it to him) but it was Coral Hind's suggestion to try a few doses of Algae Fix Marine. The Algae Fix Marine was an easier first step and it worked for him in a few days.

The key is understanding what's in the water column. It could be bacteria - but if that's the case, then unless you're dosing a carbon source, it should subside quickly. If it's bacteria, then you should run an airstone to keep the oxygen levels up in the tank.

Another possiblity is a collodial solid - like calcium carbonate precipitate. This normally occurs when there's some sort of dosing accident, whether it's Kalk, two part, or the like. You're likely to know when this happens.

Algae's another option and the one we're talking about because of your observation that the water in the cup has a greenish tint to it.

I have a couple in the garage, no idea on bulb life, that you could borrow of I can find them. One is a smaller unit that could help put a dent in it with little to no plumbing.

Thank you! I'm going to try Tom's idea bc it's inexpensive and with my Amazon Prime account I'll have the Algaefix soon. Herndon isn't far from company headquarters, so I might just take you up on that if the Algaefix doesn't work. Much appreciated.

"Filter floss" doesn't come in sheets. It comes in bags either from the lfs (or joanns). It is cheap and totally disposable.And I understand what you mean by measurably cycled. It definitely isn't normal to have cloudy water at any time. Is your cleanup crew adequate? You probably don't need much yet but a good variety keeps things in check. When my crew needed replenishing it became very obvious quickly.

I know that fluffy stuff. FWIW I was just using Steve's terminology from his website. http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Value-Pack-Poly-Filter-Floss-3PACK.htm  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MBVette had a similar issue early last year. He showed pictures in this thread. Your situation may or may not be similar. In his case, after he was stymied for 3 weeks with cloudiness that we all assumed was a bacterial bloom, I stopped by and noticed a greenish tint to the water in his sump (it was very subtle and not really noticeable when you looked at the tank because of the blue background). By the time I got there, you couldn't see the back of the tank and could barely make out the rock. It turned out that his tank was inundated with a single-celled, free-floating algae. I suggested using a diatom filter to filter them out (and to loan it to him) but it was Coral Hind's suggestion to try a few doses of Algae Fix Marine. The Algae Fix Marine was an easier first step and it worked for him in a few days.

The key is understanding what's in the water column. It could be bacteria - but if that's the case, then unless you're dosing a carbon source, it should subside quickly. If it's bacteria, then you should run an airstone to keep the oxygen levels up in the tank.

Another possiblity is a collodial solid - like calcium carbonate precipitate. This normally occurs when there's some sort of dosing accident, whether it's Kalk, two part, or the like. You're likely to know when this happens.

Algae's another option and the one we're talking about because of your observation that the water in the cup has a greenish tint to it.

Yes I think we're on the same page. I read that thread, too, and it was your comment about the color of the water that led me to do the "white mug test" actually.  I now think algae is the most likely culprit. Took your suggestion and ordered some Algaefix from Amazon Prime so I should have it very soon.

Is your cleanup crew adequate? You probably don't need much yet but a good variety keeps things in check. When my crew needed replenishing it became very obvious quickly.

I hope so. Everything is pretty clean except my dry rock turning lime then emerald green. Would have been nice to stay white forever :)

But I read online this seems pretty common and not really a cause for concern... this kind of algae rushes in and absorbs minerals and organics from the rocks but eventually it burns itself out and coralline moves in.

Maybe this stuff is related to the water cloudiness? Idk. Knock on wood, haven't had any issues yet with many of the common new tank ailments like diatoms, cyano, green hair algae, bryopsis.... famous last words amirite

I do have a frag from a friend that has a few pieces of bubble algae but I've been removing it by hand whenever I see it.

Toss a mechanical filter on there and see if it helps. Even running your water through a coffee filter if you have nothing else would help diagnose. Anything biological in the water could also be eliminated with a UV sterilizer.

Once upon a time my tank turned green because of an algae bloom. Put a HOB filter on with floss and charcoal and 48 hours later water was clear.

I am not a big fan of chemical treatment because you cannot know the full extent of what it does to the system. Algaefix just seems very risky to me, despite claims that it will not damage anything.

On Thursday morning I added 1 dose of Algaefix. Left the skimmer running bc instructions didn't indicate otherwise.

Friday morning tank water is much clearer. Not perfect but a lot better.

One of my montiporas looks really faded but the others look fine.

I can see the green slimer SPS much better now, there's a second nub with some bleaching on the underside of the branch. The "flesh" of the SPS for lack of a better word is brown, but the polyps are still neon green, not super extended.

LPS, softies, tailspot blenny, sexy shrimp, snails all seem to be doing fine.

I am not a big fan of chemical treatment because you cannot know the full extent of what it does to the system. Algaefix just seems very risky to me, despite claims that it will not damage anything.

I have the same concerns.

If your water's been clouded for a while, you may want to dial your light cycle back a little to keep from shocking your corals.

Also, follow the directions on the Algaefix and don't overdose it. It's been used very successfully by many reefers. There's a big thread over at RC started by one of our old members, Highland Reefer, who started a diary of sorts when he tried to bring a big hair algae problem under control. Others have added to the discussion since he started it in early 2009. Now the thread's over 90 pages long. Don't overdose it, and when you've cleared it up, you may want to just discontinue its use. 

The "flesh" of the SPS for lack of a better word is brown, but the polyps are still neon green, not super extended.

Once the corals adjust to the better light penetration they should color back up. It can take a few months for the transition to slowly happen.

Second dose of Algaefix was administered Saturday morning. Tank was already pretty clear when I added the second dose. This morning (Sunday) tank looks clear.

It's amazing what I've been missing due to the cloudiness. My fire fern macroalgae has put on a lot of new branches. Some of them are bright red (whereas the older parts of the macroalgae are maroon-purple). Some of the acans are growing new heads, and I think I might have two new duncan heads.

If your water's been clouded for a while, you may want to dial your light cycle back a little to keep from shocking your corals.

Also, follow the directions on the Algaefix and don't overdose it. It's been used very successfully by many reefers. There's a big thread over at RC started by one of our old members, Highland Reefer, who started a diary of sorts when he tried to bring a big hair algae problem under control. Others have added to the discussion since he started it in early 2009. Now the thread's over 90 pages long. Don't overdose it, and when you've cleared it up, you may want to just discontinue its use. 

Thanks for the help! Here is a link to the ReefCentral Algaefix mega-thread for anyone else interested. It might take me a couple of days to get through it.

Good idea about the lights. 

Once the corals adjust to the better light penetration they should color back up. It can take a few months for the transition to slowly happen.

I considered moving it down, but it's epoxied in place and I don't want to stress it further. The fading monti (was a deep purple, now a light pink) was moved down but it might be too far gone. Weirdly the other montis are noticeably growing.