Skimmer pump beginning to fail

LCDRDATA

I got my skimmer, along with the rest of my 75 gallon DT basic setup, from another reefer; there are no readily-identifiable markings on it but I believe it is an ASM (G-1X/G-2?) or Euro-Reef model. The pump it came with is a Sedra 7500, which apparently is no longer manufactured, and its impeller is beginning to bind. I don't know if the impellers for the other Sedra pumps (3500/5000/9000) would be compatible, nor can I tell if it's just the impeller or if there is some expansion in the pump cavity it spins within. The latter, naturally, would require replacement of the entire pump, not just the impeller. SO, if anyone knows (and/or can point me to) the answers to any or all of the following questions, I'd appreciate the input.

- 1) which, if any, of the replacement needle-wheel impellers for other Sedra pumps are compatible with the 7500?

- 2) are any of the other Sedra pumps (e.g. 3500/5000/9000) "plug and play" the way the 7500 is for these skimmers?

-- 2a) if so, which?

-- 2b) assuming, for the moment, that one or more of these other pumps ARE compatible, since the series number seems to indicate output (e.g., the 7500=750 GPH), how much performance hit would I take with the smaller (3500/5000) pumps, and conversely, would the 9000 be too much to handle?

- 3) what, if any, other pumps would be more or less "plug and play" like the Sedra(s) at a similar flow rate as the 7500? I've done some looking around online but just can't tell.

Thanks all! :bluefish:

No experience with sedra 7500. I have a g2 running with sedra 5000. Impeller for sedras are notoriously swollen up and failed. Replacement for them is not worth it. You can probably go with a new reef octopus pin wheel pump or eheim adjustable skimmer pinwheel pump as a replacement.