Calling All Tank Stand Engineers :)

Jason Rhoads

I would put a 3/4" plywood deck on it and then a layer of foam or rubber pad to remove any imperfections and smooth it out.

+1 if it is acrylic, I don't think you need the foam if it is glass.  Not sure.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put a 3/4" plywood deck on it and then a layer of foam or rubber pad to remove any imperfections and smooth it out.

Do you do the rubber pad under the stand? Or where the tank sits? I'm asking for my build.

For anyone playing along at home; I went with (4) 2x8's.  

Two tied together to make the supports spanning the entire distance of the stand.  

So, it is now supported by (4) 2x8's and (2) 2x6's and (2) 2x4's; if that doesnt hold it then I don't know what will. :)

CAM00819.jpg

Jason, that is quite a stand. Can you build me a treehouse too?

Do you do the rubber pad under the stand? Or where the tank sits? I'm asking for my build.

What for your Hippo that you are getting for Christmas? :laugh:

Perfect.

So, are you going to toss some plywood across the top? When will you set the tank up and fill it?

Indeed I am.  I already have that done and the tank is sitting there now.  I have it almost full, but need to finish the plumbing before I can top it off.  I am going to share more in my soon-to-be tank thread, but for now these will do: 

CAM00825.jpg

CAM00826.jpg

CAM00837.jpg

CAM00838.jpg

What for your Hippo that you are getting for Christmas? :laugh:

Hippos love to live in trees! Didn't you know that? I actually did ask Kevin for a giraffe last year. I found one for sale and everything. 1 pregnant female giraffe for $60,000. Seemed like a steal to me!

Indeed I am.  I already have that done and the tank is sitting there now.  I have it almost full, but need to finish the plumbing before I can top it off.  I am going to share more in my soon-to-be tank thread, but for now these will do: 

CAM00825.jpg

CAM00826.jpg

CAM00837.jpg

CAM00838.jpg

Jason, that looks AMAZING. Nice work!

Jason, I have a 6x2 sheet of birch plywood you can have if you can use it, I've been cutting up a huge board for projects around the stand/house.

Thanks man, I wish I would have asked.  But after my 100th trip to Home depot this weekend, I only need a few more things for this to be finished --yep, i went at 6am this morning, and still need to go back....  

Ok, I feel a little better now. :laugh:

The alcove you are going to squeeze it into will give it the left to right support. You say it is a tight fit, have you actually fit the whole stand in the space yet? Unfortunately a lot of construction is not "racked" or square so you might want to make sure it actually fits, and the opening against the back wall is the same as the open across the front.

It is a perfect fit.  I am glad too, because there was no way to test this before draining/moving the tank. 

As to the pad, there really is no need.  I sanded the top twice (between coats of paint) and it is very smooth and perfectly level.  With the trim on the glass tank any small bump here or there won't make a difference.  

As to the pad, there really is no need.  I sanded the top twice (between coats of paint) and it is very smooth and perfectly level.  With the trim on the glass tank any small bump here or there won't make a difference.  

Notice Ken, he didn't say "NO" to the treehouse ;)

Jason, that's true. I hadn't thought about the trim on the tank negating the need for a perfectly smooth finish. I'm getting ready to build out my stand tonight to accomodate the new 120, so I'm sure I'll be doing a hundred HD trips too!

Jason, that looks AMAZING. Nice work!

Thanks! I am really happy with the space.  And, with both sump and the refugium under the tank, I can reclaim the "fish room" that used to be on the other side of the wall.  I will lose a bit of maintenance ease, but the trade off is well worth it.  Plus, with the tank a full 42" off the ground, I have plenty of room underneath to do water changes and mess with the skimmer.  :)

Jason, that's true. I hadn't thought about the trim on the tank negating the need for a perfectly smooth finish. I'm getting ready to build out my stand tonight to accomodate the new 120, so I'm sure I'll be doing a hundred HD trips too!

I guarantee it!  Unless, you actually plan ahead and have a bullet-proof design... but who does that? ;)

Haha, let me be very clear here:  I will not build anything for at least the next 6 months!  I am so tired of cutting lumber :) 

109" long by 36.5" deep.  

That will fit a 407g tank if it was 24" tall.....just sayin :rolleyes:

You can always add more support later.