Local New York pipefish

paul b

I have been collecting pipefish in New York all my life but these seem different.  A friend of mine collected these on the south shore of Long Island and he kept them in a bucket for over a month.  He gave them to me because my tank is set up for pipefish already and he didn't think they would make it in his tank with his powerheads.  I have them in a small tank just to see how they eat and they are sucking down new born brine shrimp as fast as I can hatch them.  After they fatten up a little on shrimp, I will put them in my reef.  Probably in a day or two.  The ones I collect look different and I never had luck with them so I hope these four make it.
2014-10-28105449_zps21cfa8da.jpg

2014-10-28104705_zps4b9bef49.jpg

Neat.  Are they OK with reef temperatures?  I always picture the water off long island as being chillier than a reef tank, but maybe not?

They look like the pipefish I collected in the Chesapeake Bay last week.

Maybe a dusky pipefish Syngnathus floridae or a northern pipefish Syngnathus fuscus.

They look like the pipefish I collected in the Chesapeake Bay last week.

How did u collect them and how are they doing in your tank ?  I caught some long silvery small fish a few months ago under the bay bridge but it died in the morning in my reef tank. 

I didn't collect these, a friend of mine did.  I collect them on the south shore of Long Island with a scene net.  I can get hundreds in a few minutes but the ones I normally get don't do so well.  These are different and came from more east than where I collect.

I caught them with a fine mesh long handled net. I collected them in a protected cove by the Willoughby marina in oceanview. Caught lots of grass shrimp and pods. Also caught a small flounder species called a hog chocker. I caught a very nice frilly lined seahorse but I took pics and put it back. The pipefish are in my fuge and are eating baby brine shrimp and seem interested in cyclopeeze. I will try to post pics later.

That's awesome Toddr !!! I always go fishing under the bay bridge in the summer maybe I will attempt to get a few this coming summer , can't wait to see the pics !!!