D2120 vs 165w ebay fixtures

John Ford

Just curious searching around on ebay you see Evergrow D2120 fixtures and other 165w fixtures. Anyone have any first hand experience with the 2 of them. Are there any to avoid?

I have four of the older evergrow D120 over my 225 g and recently purchased 2 of the newer redesigned D120s over a 65g display and 40g frag tank.

Paid $150 each on ebay for the first for and $93 each for the last two I bought. I like the look and spectrum better from the last two units.

Not sure about the 165 watt units but there are many re-sellers of these lights. My evergrow lights do not have any markings on them indicating they are evergrow.

The d2120 do not have timers as well. From what I can read they are a different wattage. 120 watt vs 165 watts.

From a picture stand point they all look the same. I can get two for under 200 bucks. Not all of them say who built them though

The version 2 of the D120s that I have do not have a timer or controller. The LEDs are spread out wider than version 1. Version 1 layout is about 4.5" x 11" and version 2 is 6.5" x 14" even though both units are the same footprint.

I've been running version 1s for 2 years without any issues and no burnouts. The version 2 look way nicer than version 1 IMO.

Good luck.

I'd rather have evergrow built and warranty than a unit with potential faulty wiring. Just my 2 cents, I've only ran with the Evergrows from Marcos's group buys, so no experience with the eBay ones.

I have both the D2040's from ERC and and a regular evrergrow that I bought on Ebay, the Ebay fixture is being used on my sump currently and was used on my frag tank before I tore it down, as far as I can tell they are the same quality, however the lighting layout is a little different and the i'm sure that if the Ebay fixture died on me I would be SOL, whereas the ERC fixture would be fixed under the 3yr warranty. they are cheap Chinese lights that do the job, if your going to buy the fixtures with the timer and I would maybe lean to buying from ERC due to the fact that they are quite a bit more money and you have a warranty to fall back on.

BLUF

I think the fixtures are the same for the most part, the additional cost you pay is most likely for the warranty and customer service from the vendor, which in my opinion is worth every penny.  

I could be wrong there may be something I dont know

john, if you have any questions about them or want to order evergrow fixtures, whether the d2040, d2120, or any of the IT series, i'm glad to assist. we do regular monthly orders and always have enough interest to get orders from our USA factory between the fuge lights and the reef tank lights. and yes all lights come with a 3-year warranty. glad to help bud.