MrSexyShrimp's 34g Solana AIO Sexy Shrimp Discotheque

After reading this thread, I have decided not to buy any zoas or palys. Wowzers. No pretty coral is worth that. Besides, anything that might make me a little sick would probably be more than enough to kill my parrots.

I was thinking about posting the question: is it really worth having these things in our tanks? I only have two little frags with about 6 polyps each but I'm tempted to give them away. There are so many cool corals out there with less capacity to kill you. What's the general consensus on that?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(edited)

I thought it was palys? Is it zoas too?

Zoas as well. They are very closely related. Both are in Order Zoantharia. There's a lot of debate about which particular species are more or less toxic, but the phylogeny of corals is not completely understood. 

I've read that only a certain strain of (ugly IMO) paly is REALLY bad and the "pretty" zoas only contain low amounts of the poison... but that's no guarantee. There are thousands of people with a vested financial interest in being able to sell zoa color morphs for big bucks and thousands more who've sunk a lot of money and many hours into zoa husbandry.

I'm not saying anyone is actively trying to sell unsafe coral for nefarious purposes, but I do think there's a lot of complex psychological factors involved that lead people to take unnecessary/irrational risks. Cognitive dissonance, denial, over relying on anecdotal experience, etc etc.

There's an attitude of "if you just use common sense, you'll be fine." But it only takes one slip up, ya know? This particular reward/risk scenario skews too heavily in the risk direction for my tastes.

Edited by MrSexyShrimp

Well said. Who wants my paly frags?

Start a thread in the buy sell trade area.

cp8w0TVl.jpg

Full tank shot, as requested. Lots of lime green film algae.

Yesterday I noticed a ton of pods all over the glass. Had never noticed them before.

The flame / dragon breath algae has gorgeous orange tips which didn't photograph well for some reason. 

Isaac's duncan corals wins the "fastest acclimator" award. Tentacles out within a few minutes of being transferred. Thanks for training it to be awesome, Isaac!

Glad you enjoyed! It's a great piece!

Did your nerites ever become more active? Mine do the exact same thing and I've had them for a few weeks now.

Nnnnnope they just hang out at the water line in the dark corners of the tank. I see some of them on the glass at night, hardly ever on the rocks. I guess they gotta be eating something to stay alive. I did lose 1 more nerite after the initial 2 nerite deaths, but the others seem to be the same as always.

Experiencing some sort of bacterial or algal bloom: http://wamas.org/forums/topic/69944-extreme-cloudiness-probably-bacterial-bloom/

Either this bloom, or the SPS-hungry/obsessed clown goby, or some water param issue has harmed my green slimer frag. One is the nubs is bone white. The rest of it is pretty brown. About a week ago it was neon green. Everything else seems fine.

My 3 sexy shrimp, which used to stick to 1 small part of the tank, have become quite the explorers.

Blennifer the tailspot blenny sometimes likes to misbehave by ripping off small pieces of the dragon breath / flame algae, but not actually eat it.

Two doses of Algaefix cleared up the tank cloudiness. Maybe even one would have been enough.

Green slimer sps turned brown and has some bleached nubs. One purple monti faded to a light pink and has been moved lower down. Think it might die.  The other purple monti seems unchanged, and all of the orange montis are noticeably growing. :: shrug ::

Fire fern has put on lots of new branches.

My oldest acans are growing new heads. The new acan frags I got at the fall meeting were fresh cuts and have all healed and look much fluffier.

Duncan coral might have 2 new heads but it has so many it's tough to keep track.

Torch coral, blue/green/purple pectinia, meteor shower coral all unchanged. Orange ricordea has been in the process of splitting since I got it at the fall meeting. I think it's given up and is content to live its life as a conjoined twin.

GSP glued to the back wall is growing. 

Tailspot blenny has an amazing personality and is doing well as the sole fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls! Gather around to see a truly perplexing sight! Marvel at the young man with a degree in biology who can't get a consistent alkalinity reading using a simple Hanna checker. 

sigh

It's a sight for sore eyes. Why are you worried about checking your alkalinity ATM? Water changes should be keeping your levels solid.