Is my Anthia's tail bitten or some sort of disease?

thakki

I noticed this evening that my anthia's tail in my QT seemed like bitten. It was all good until last Friday when I added a Watchman goby. It used to eat fine...but today it didnt...I am little worried if it carried over any disease from goby. Is it possible that it's just a bite or is it some sort of disease?

d95e6346876652d9b4b77bbd1a810d15.jpg

f105f33efc1455a551df248fe5f439e0.jpg

c4a601989fc295686b8b53dbbd1e74fd.jpg

Not sure. Go to the store and pick up some live brine shrimp. They sometimes will eat it even when not feeling well. A couple missed meal won't hurt him. Did you check ammonia today? #1 killer of QT fish

Yea do it ASAP. Any ammonia is unhealthy for fish and it's probably why it's not eating. and I would do it now if I were you. it amazing how fast ammonia can spike especially when there is a sick fish not eating all food and the food is left to decay. By morning It will get higher. Plan on daily large water changes it will take a lot to keep it under control.

You can use an ammonia binder to help with the toxity of it between water changes. Make sure and only feed a little at a time and remove any uneaten food. Helps to always have mixed water for those water changes as well. Just keep an eye on the fish for now. Can't see any other fin deterioration in the pics.

(edited)

You can use an ammonia binder to help with the toxity of it between water changes. Make sure and only feed a little at a time and remove any uneaten food. Helps to always have mixed water for those water changes as well. Just keep an eye on the fish for now. Can't see any other fin deterioration in the pics.

Seems to me like a bite from something...not necessarily deterioration. I had this QT for quite some time now...and usually I do water changes twice a week to keep the ammonia levels in control. Is it possible that goby might have taken a bite of anthia's tail?

Edited by thakki

5ppm is a lot of ammonia. It can have long term effects on the fish. I would do more frequent changes and use a binder as well. Have you monitored nitrites? If you had it for a "while" then the tank should be cycling/cycled. The added food might require a boost in the biofilter to accomodate the added bioload. If this is the case, then feed lighter and slowly ramp it up.

It can be a bite, but the anthia is pretty fast. More likely when it was sleeping if so.

Yes I did...it's around 5 ppm. ..planning to do water change tomorrow.

Are you sure you mean 5ppm and not 0.5? 

5ppm is INCREDIBLY dangerous levels to have your ammonia at-- i mean its flat out toxic to your fish. 0.5 on the other hand, while not ideal is way more manageable. 

5 is like you had freshly made water and then just dropped decaying food in it and waited. If you have fresh SW you need to use an ammonia binder or have more frequent water changes-- that can spike super quick. 

My mistake....it's .5 ppm.

You don't want any ammonia in your tank, as mentioned above, it's poison to your fish. The best way to control it in qt is with water changes, and controlled feeding. Get an ammonia badge alert as well.

(edited)

5ppm is a lot of ammonia. It can have long term effects on the fish. I would do more frequent changes and use a binder as well. Have you monitored nitrites? If you had it for a "while" then the tank should be cycling/cycled. The added food might require a boost in the biofilter to accomodate the added bioload. If this is the case, then feed lighter and slowly ramp it up.

It can be a bite, but the anthia is pretty fast. More likely when it was sleeping if so.

No nitrites in my QT. To avoid spike in ammonia...i change water twice a week and usually feed the fish slowly. I don't think the water is the issue here...I doubt the goby which I bought online had some issues or might have bitten the anthia. Thanks anyway.

Edited by thakki

the anthias looks to be in pretty decent shape and not have any issues developed from the nipped fin which might be bacterial if any or because of fin rot which is also doesn't look like. moving forward, everyone has provided some fantastic advice. get your water quality up via at least one water change a day and ammonia undectable until you have a sufficient bio filter set up that can handle longer time between changes.

you mention having the system running for a while; how long has the lyretail been in qt? do you plan to treat these fish? if so, allow them to start reliably eating again very well for at least a week or two before beginning treatment. the rock in your system may make maintaining therapeutic levels difficult, be aware. feel free to PM me if you have any urgent questions during your process - glad to help.

good on you for your willingness to quarantine your livestock and ensure the health of your livestock. with some practice, the process gets easier and the livestock and you are better for diligence required.

the anthias looks to be in pretty decent shape and not have any issues developed from the nipped fin which might be bacterial if any or because of fin rot which is also doesn't look like. moving forward, everyone has provided some fantastic advice. get your water quality up via at least one water change a day and ammonia undectable until you have a sufficient bio filter set up that can handle longer time between changes.

you mention having the system running for a while; how long has the lyretail been in qt? do you plan to treat these fish? if so, allow them to start reliably eating again very well for at least a week or two before beginning treatment. the rock in your system may make maintaining therapeutic levels difficult, be aware. feel free to PM me if you have any urgent questions during your process - glad to help.

good on you for your willingness to quarantine your livestock and ensure the health of your livestock. with some practice, the process gets easier and the livestock and you are better for diligence required.

Thanks Marco. I had this QT setup since past 2+ months. I didn't plan to treat the fish in QT...but just wanted to isolate for few weeks and see how they are doing and feeding over all. Do you think I should treat them? I had my clowns in the same QT for 4 weeks before I moved them to my DT and they are doing just fine...never treated them. And I am pretty sure that there is only a little traces of ammonia in my QT as indicated by my ammonia badge...everything was fine until I added this watchman goby which I bought online...not sure if everything is okay with it...it didn't eat anything for the first two days...yesterday I noticed it slowly started eating...so I hope it will recover. I probably will never buy any fish online in the future...Now, the nipped fin...how long do you think that it will heal? Do you recommend any special treatment? Thanks again. 

I don't think the ammonia was even at .5 ppm. it was less than .02 ppm. I misread it yesterday. Here is my ammonia alert badge...anyway...I changed 50% water today....both goby and anthia seem to eat well today...not sure how it's fin got nipped...i hope it recovers soon.

4aa126d4241dcf3fcfac324f4252c596.jpg

Thanks Marco. I had this QT setup since past 2+ months. I didn't plan to treat the fish in QT...but just wanted to isolate for few weeks and see how they are doing and feeding over all. Do you think I should treat them? I had my clowns in the same QT for 4 weeks before I moved them to my DT and they are doing just fine...never treated them. And I am pretty sure that there is only a little traces of ammonia in my QT as indicated by my ammonia badge...everything was fine until I added this watchman goby which I bought online...not sure if everything is okay with it...it didn't eat anything for the first two days...yesterday I noticed it slowly started eating...so I hope it will recover. I probably will never buy any fish online in the future...Now, the nipped fin...how long do you think that it will heal? Do you recommend any special treatment? Thanks again.

after sufficient research and speaking to folks you trust on the matter, you will have to come to your own conclusions about what you think is best for your livestock that is within your abilities at the given time. i prophylactically treat all my personal fish and those i provide new homes for. my basic protocol is here

you do not want any ammonia in your qt. do not rely on the that ammonia badge. it is there as a last resort warning. do not depend on it to tell you when you have an issue. your primary concern with quarantine is water quality and until you establish the qt system sufficiently if you have to do twice or three times a day water changes to maintian water quality high, then that is what is required. with two small fish it should not be that frequent, though.

on the nipped fin if that is all it is may show signs of healing within a week, may take months to completely heal, or may never really return to the way it once was. just focus on excellent water quality and getting all the fish in qt to eat well. once they have reliably and consistently, if you decide to treat prophylactically, you can do the research ahead of time, and do so at that time.

after sufficient research and speaking to folks you trust on the matter, you will have to come to your own conclusions about what you think is best for your livestock that is within your abilities at the given time. i prophylactically treat all my personal fish and those i provide new homes for. my basic protocol is here

you do not want any ammonia in your qt. do not rely on the that ammonia badge. it is there as a last resort warning. do not depend on it to tell you when you have an issue. your primary concern with quarantine is water quality and until you establish the qt system sufficiently if you have to do twice or three times a day water changes to maintian water quality high, then that is what is required. with two small fish it should not be that frequent, though.

on the nipped fin if that is all it is may show signs of healing within a week, may take months to completely heal, or may never really return to the way it once was. just focus on excellent water quality and getting all the fish in qt to eat well. once they have reliably and consistently, if you decide to treat prophylactically, you can do the research ahead of time, and do so at that time.

Thanks Marco. Like I said, they are eating well since yesterday...I hope them to recover soon. I will focus on more frequent water changes and controlled feeding for now.