Need some help with a DIY wet/Dry

madmax7774

I need a hobby buddy! I have just aquired a 75 gallon acrylic tank with 1 overflow, and I am going to get started with setting it up at home. Budget is limited of course, and I managed to get my hands on a free 30 gallon glass tank to use a as a DIY wet/dry filter and sump. I am handy with wood, and other hobby things, and am going to build my own stand to house the tank and filter. I specifically am looking for plans or help designing the wet/dry filter. The tank is going to be a REEF tank, and will be built from the get-go with metal-halide lights, and possibly a store bought protein skimmer in the sump / wet/dry. I am not very experienced at this, but what I lack in knowledge, I will make up with blind enthusiasm. I have been learning on a 30 gallon FOWLR tank at my office. So far I haven't killed anything, but am currently suffering from a miserable brown algae bloom. (but that's another story)So does anyone have the desire, knowledge, and interest to help me build a wet/dry?

John

:77:

What you really need is a buddy to talk you out of running a wet/dry.

Fine for FOWLR but not in a reef.

Wet / Dry or Mech filters = lots and lots of Nitrates

ok, I can respect that, but then what do I need for the reef tank as far as filtration?

Do I still use the 30 gallon glass tank underneath?

Do I just use a protein skimmer then?

At this point, I am a bit beyond my knowledge level. Any help would be greatly apprecaited!

ok, a sump with baffles in it. Is this the same concept as a refugium? I suspect that I am getting wet/dry confused with sump / confused with refugium. What I really need is to understand what is the best way to go with the 2 tanks I have for the purposes of having a reef tank at home.

So I turn the 30 gallon into a sump with baffles. That means I need to pickup a strong pump to use to get the water to circulate from the 30 gallon sump back up to the 75 gallon main. Iwasaki pump? is that too much? they seem to be $250 for the 100 gallon size. also, As far as the baffles, are talking 3 chambers ?

ok, I am starting to feel lost here....

Guest Kimo

John -

It would probably be best for you to visit some of the other members in your area to see their setups - It can be enlightening :)

As was said, you don't wan tto use a wet dry, it will cause problems. Most of us use a sump. The sump is the place for the heater, protein skimmer, etc. You're familiar with the idea. Basically, it's a wet dry without the bioballs or mechanical filtration.

When the water falls all the way down to the sump, it makes bubbles. Baffles prevent those bubbles from getting to the return pump. Also, a protein skimmer creates bubbles that need to be dealt with. It can be as simple or as complex as you want it to.

The refugium is a tank that is free from predation, either coral or fish, that can be used in any number of ways. You can have a refugium where you grow macroalgae for export, usually Chaetomorpha. You can also have a refugium for plankton culture to help feed the main tank. You can also merge those ideas into one. This can be located in the sump, or in a seperate location and plumbed in.

As for the return pump - I do not believe that a return pump needs to be very powerful. All you need to do is move water back to the tank from the sump. You CAN use a strong pump, there is nothing wrong with that.

Iwaki makes a great pump. Expensive, but reliable.

All I can really say is read. Read everything. Here, reefcentral, reefs.org, advanced aquarist, reefkeeping, etc. You took a good first step asking here.

Also, try to be as informed as possible about whatever you buy. Try to do it right the first time, spend the money on the important things, and have fun!

At the very least get yourself to someone's house and check out their tank(s)! I'd invite you but I am currently overhauling some stuff in my system and I am out in Leesburg, a little hike for you.

HTH,

Jamie

ok, a sump with baffles in it.  Is this the same concept as a refugium? I suspect that I am getting wet/dry confused with sump / confused with refugium.  What I really need is to understand what is the best way to go with the 2 tanks I have for the purposes of having a reef tank at home.

So I turn the 30 gallon into a sump with baffles.  That means I need to pickup a strong pump to use to get the water to circulate from the 30 gallon sump back up to the 75 gallon main.  Iwasaki pump?  is that too much?  they seem to be $250 for the 100 gallon size.  also, As far as the baffles, are talking 3 chambers ?

ok, I am starting to feel lost here....

54280[/snapback]

First off

welcome.gif to WamasLogo.jpg

The best thing to do is plan out what you would like to do with your system, there are plenty of sites that can give you pointers or advice as well as ours King Vinnie's Aquaria pages is a good place to start, or search here or RDO or RC

Do you want external or submersible pumps, for an external pump you'll probably need to drill the tank to hook it up.

Rough draft out how you'd like it setup, where to run the plumbing/cabling, there is nothing worse than running into :wall: when something is set in stone or the tank is up and running.

Jamie pretty much hit it all in a nutshell, if in doubt ask, one of the most important things i have learnt is that something that works for someone else may not work for you, just ask away whatever the question.

if your in the Manassas area, you can drop by and see my system, it's a work in progress still (i know, i know i'll finish it one day).

HTH

Anton

I'm pretty close to you in Centreville (Faircrest). I'm also new to this hobby but could walk you through all the steps I went through and let you see my setup - which, while pretty basic, but has been very effective since I set it up in the Fall. I have a 90 gallon, corner overflow into a 20 gallon sump with a protein skimmer and about 120 lbs of live rock and sand.

I also have some metal halide lights I'm looking to sell/trade - AND was just talking to my wife about how I wished I knew someone who could build stuff with wood. We were talking about a custom matching stand that could house all the aquarium accessories (buckets, quarantine tank etc) :2thumbsup: .

PM me if you'd like to get in touch.