Moon jelly light saber

AlanM

We went to national aquarium on labor day. They had staff walking around with these. I never realized that jellies are anaerobic but that is what she said. Very cool.

IMAG1768_zpsqodbb1c3.jpg

I think she meant that they don't have a respiratory system. Jelly fish are cnidarians the same biological family as coral so they get their oxygen by diffusion through their tissues. I don't think they need much oxygen, but they need it.

But anyways -- I want that tube.

I think she meant that they don't have a respiratory system. Jelly fish are cnidarians the same biological family as coral so they get their oxygen by diffusion through their tissues. I don't think they need much oxygen, but they need it.

But anyways -- I want that tube.

It looked like clear PVC with a clear cap on one end and clear threaded cap on the other. She had a flashlight she shined into it. She said she keeps them in there for a couple hours and then they put them back into the display and exchange for another one.

Trip was fun. We are familiar enough with the aquarium that we can go through it and see what interests us in about an hour and a half. One coral tank, two of them total as far as I could see, had a nice big turbinaria in it like one I have had in my tank which has never grown. There was a guy holding crickets on sticks above the archer fish, which would knock it off the branch and eat it. Very cool. Then we have lunch and go climb at the children's museum up the street.

Trip was fun. We are familiar enough with the aquarium that we can go through it and see what interests us in about an hour and a half. One coral tank, two of them total as far as I could see, had a nice big turbinaria in it like one I have had in my tank which has never grown. There was a guy holding crickets on sticks above the archer fish, which would knock it off the branch and eat it. Very cool. Then we have lunch and go climb at the children's museum up the street.

The Turbinaria was donated to NADC years back by your very own resident florist extraordinaire, Chip Frederick, aka flowerseller aka Bozo the Clown.