Setting up quarantine tank

morgan175

I have been told I need to add fish to my tank so here we go.

10 gallon tank

Heater

Whisper filter

Lid

Light vho

Piece of pipe to hide in

Ammonia tag

First question. I put a filter sleeve into my tank to build bacteria on it. How long does it need to seed before adding to tank.

2? I plan on using water from my tank to fill. Bad idea or not.

3? Should the cycle still happen if I do question 1 and 2.

4? I'm already stressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Needs about a week to build up bacteria from your tank...

You can use water from your tank this time..but if you ever had a problem you wouldn't want to be transferring an issue...

You won't have a cycle in a QT tank since there is no live rock or sand in the tank...nothing to really cycle, which is why you have to keep up on the water changes daily instead of monthly...

Yes, it is a tad stressful to setup and maintain a QT...

I have two question:

Can you run a protein skimmer on a QT tank? Would this reduce the water changes?

Also, aren't you only suppose to change some or all of the water if it is between treatments?

I have two question:

Can you run a protein skimmer on a QT tank? Would this reduce the water changes?

Also, aren't you only suppose to change some or all of the water if it is between treatments?

I'm sure a skimmer would reduce the need, but it could also reduce the effectiveness of the medication.

I would change all the water once a quarantine is finished.  

If there will be medication used, then no skimmer, and also many many water changes...

But if this is for viewing first before putting in the tank to see IF meds are needed then if you have a hang on skimmer why not?

If there will be medication used, then no skimmer, and also many many water changes...

But if this is for viewing first before putting in the tank to see IF meds are needed then if you have a hang on skimmer why not?

+1

I'm sure a skimmer would reduce the need, but it could also reduce the effectiveness of the medication.

I would change all the water once a quarantine is finished.  

Ok, makes sense.....don't want to pull the meds out of the water.

Surf & Turf....I just realized something, it must of caught my eye because of my driving directions today.  I was just in your area today to pick up my son on Carper's Pike near Yellow Spring at the Concord Retreat. He was there for a Cross Country camp with his school. Beautiful area, he commented on how many stars he could see at night, and was amazed. So I had to have the light pollution talk!

Ok, makes sense.....don't want to pull the meds out of the water.

Surf & Turf....I just realized something, it must of caught my eye because of my driving directions today.  I was just in your area today to pick up my son on Carper's Pike near Yellow Spring at the Concord Retreat. He was there for a Cross Country camp with his school. Beautiful area, he commented on how many stars he could see at night, and was amazed. So I had to have the light pollution talk!

Yep, you were right around the corner. Small world. 

Yes because of ammonia...probably 3-5 gallons daily or every other day...

If your not using meds, you can get an ammonia badge to check..but I would not go more than 2 days without changing some water...

If your not using meds, you can get an ammonia badge to check..but I would not go more than 2 days without changing some water...

He already has the ammonia badge. So let it roll..

post-2634723-140944282818_thumb.jpg

Do I want to run carbon at first in my whisper filter.

What medication should I have on hand. The only stores close are petco and pet smart.

If you see anything wrong please let me know. Ordering book tonight from mr saltwater.

How long does the light need to stay on. I heard where better in the dark will stress fish less. Is 4 hours ok. Thank you both for taking the time to answer.

You really don't need to run a light, less stress on the fish, don't run carbon either as that will pull med's from the tank.

Most treat with prazi, and keep a copper treatment on hand if the need arises. 

You can slow the water changes down by adding some liverock from your system. 

I've read that you're not supposed to put live rock into a QT bc it will absorb the medication. When I set mine up, I just used PVC elbows for the fish to hide. 

I usually replaced about 3 gallons every 2 to 3 days. I checked ammonia daily and really didn't have issues.  The ammonia badge is great to use though.  After about a month of the tank running (I ended up having them in QT for 2 months), the tank cycled and the QT care was easy.  Water changes were done more so to lower the nitrate level than any other issue.  And yes some say that its not possible for the nitrate level to climb high enough to cause an issue, but the fish (1 clown, 2 yellow-tail blue damsels, and one royal gramma) were visibly distressed and responded much better when the nitrate levels dropped.  

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1409442825.001139.jpg

Do I want to run carbon at first in my whisper filter.

What medication should I have on hand. The only stores close are petco and pet smart.

If you see anything wrong please let me know. Ordering book tonight from mr saltwater.

From what I've read, if you are going to treat, no carbon since that will just pull it out.  I used an hang over the back filter stuffed with filter floss to just collect the particulate matter.  The trick was making sure the fish ate ALL of the food added, and if any is missed, just scoop out with the net so that it doesn't add to the build up of ammonia.  For medication, I'd get Prazipro (for internal parasites) and some form of copper (I used Coppersafe but many use Cupramine) for ich and gill flukes.  If you use Coppersafe, the only copper test that will work is the API which tests for total copper.  If you get cupramine, than the salifert copper test will work.  Of course testing for copper is required because of how toxic it is.  You may already know all this or have a lot of experience but I figured I'd just add some details since I just went though this QT business over the summer.

And for lights, I didn't really pay much attention to that. the fish were kept in the kitchen (on the Island) so if they wanted somewhere dark to go they had the PVC elbows, one for each fish so no fighting.

You really don't need to run a light, less stress on the fish, don't run carbon either as that will pull med's from the tank.

Most treat with prazi, and keep a copper treatment on hand if the need arises. 

Beat me to it  :clap:

How long does the light need to stay on. I heard where better in the dark will stress fish less. Is 4 hours ok. Thank you both for taking the time to answer.

I keep my QT lights the same as my main tank lights, that way they are already adjusted to my light schedule.

Edited by Squishie89

So where are you getting the fish?

Driving to quantum reefs for my first time. It will take about an hour and half. I really want to start with something a little on the tougher side. Either thinking fox face or Bengai cardinals.

Driving to quantum reefs for my first time. It will take about an hour and half. I really want to start with something a little on the tougher side. Either thinking fox face or Bengai cardinals.

Just be sure that the fish you get look pretty healthy.  I got some fish (2 clowns) from there that went through Quantum's quarantine treatment, but when I got them back to my tank, I lost one in 3 days and the other a week later.  Both due to gill flukes (I treated to late) that had to have come from that store since these were my first two fish.  I've had success with King of Corals for healthy fish.

Edited by Newms118

I prefer to cycle the QT. Takes longer, but less stress on the fish (and you). Also, when medicating it is really hard to maintain the proper dose when you are constantly doing water changes.

Consider an ammonia binder in case ammonia starts to rise. I would also consider an ATO. With a tank that small it doesn't take much evaporation + top offs to cause salinity swings. This can be stressful on the fish. Additionally, for some medications it is important to maintain steady water parameters.

It is ok to run carbon in your filter unless you are medicating. Be careful when choosing medications/treatments as some fish do not tolerate copper.

I prefer to not run lights to avoid algae growing in the QT. There is enough ambient light from the room and your DT if have the QT nearby. I usually just turn the light on for observation + when feeding. Make sure and remove any uneaten food. Feed lightly in that small tank.

I moved to using 20g long for my QT for more water volume and swimming room. More forgiving, especially when just starting out and learning.

I prefer to cycle the QT. Takes longer, but less stress on the fish (and you). Also, when medicating it is really hard to maintain the proper dose when you are constantly doing water changes.

Consider an ammonia binder in case ammonia starts to rise. I would also consider an ATO. With a tank that small it doesn't take much evaporation + top offs to cause salinity swings. This can be stressful on the fish. Additionally, for some medications it is important to maintain steady water parameters.

It is ok to run carbon in your filter unless you are medicating. Be careful when choosing medications/treatments as some fish do not tolerate copper.

I prefer to not run lights to avoid algae growing in the QT. There is enough ambient light from the room and your DT if have the QT nearby. I usually just turn the light on for observation + when feeding. Make sure and remove any uneaten food. Feed lightly in that small tank.

I moved to using 20g long for my QT for more water volume and swimming room. More forgiving, especially when just starting out and learning.

Besides an expensive ATo unit is there another way to do this.

If I go 20. I have to get new everything. I more then agree with you on that point.

This is a learning curve.

And keep in mind, if you do end up running cupramine or copper safe the ammonia badge doesn't work as well...

I'd also like to say bangaii are not very hardy..

Foxface yes, also if clowns are on your list they are one of the hardiest...(being of the same demon spawn as damsels..)