Question about lighting for a propagation tank

saltwaterfishman

Hello, I have will be setting up a propagation tank for sps corals and bubble tip anemone's in the near future. I have a question about a certain lighting fixture I found on ebay and if it will be enough for my tank. The tank is a 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tank. It's 51 inches long, 30 inches wide and 12 inches deep. Thank you in advance.

Here is the link to the light: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251578337343

There is a longer one in the FS section. I would do just metal halides if you can handle the electric costs and heat. Why not try 400w? I have no experience with metal halides fwiw, so take all my advice with a grain of salt.

Hello, I have will be setting up a propagation tank for sps corals and bubble tip anemone's in the near future. I have a question about a certain lighting fixture I found on ebay and if it will be enough for my tank. The tank is a 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tank. It's 51 inches long, 30 inches wide and 12 inches deep. Thank you in advance.

Here is the link to the light: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251578337343

You would probably need 2 of them for coverage.

There is a longer one in the FS section. I would do just metal halides if you can handle the electric costs and heat. Why not try 400w? I have no experience with metal halides fwiw, so take all my advice with a grain of salt.

Thank you but do you think a 400w halide will fry them?

12" depth...  150w would be more than enough.  If you went with 250's you would have to hang them like 2+ feet off the water surface.  The corals will likely be midway on a rack so we are talking 6" beneath the surface.  I would get some decent reflectors and do 2 150w bulbs.

Go HQI ballast if you want to run a radium or phoenix.  Look for M81 for 150w and M80 for 250w.  Aqua Medic's are going for $70 for 150w and $80 for 250w, which is pretty cheap. 

http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/lighting-replacement-parts/

Get good reflectors and you will be good to go. 

No way you're only spending $100 though.  That ebay light is probaly garbage.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Thank you but do you think a 400w halide will fry them?

Listen to Bowie and Ryan, I would definitely try and get something other than that Ebay fixture though, like Bowie mentioned, you will spend more than $100 for something decent.

I had my sps corals in a 50 gallon rubbermaid, it's build is in the build thread section. I used two 250w halides. One doesn't cover enough at all. Just get a good ballast and,reflector and,call it quits. Not sure why you would want a fixture with power compacts in it now a days.