Water Leak - have to move tank... Advice needed!

JeffG93

Hey Folks -

I have a 75G Rimless plus sump tank that leaked about 7 gallons of water on the floor...  I didn't re-tighten my gfo/carbon canisters after I was distracted and the water leaked out slowly over night.

Anyway the water warped the hardwood floors and soaked the insulation in my basement so my wife (the one who distracted me :P ) insisted on calling insurance.

Now I'm going to have to move the tank, I'm hoping to leave the livestock in containers with powerheads and heaters until the work is done.  How long can they survive like this?  I have a few easier to keep sps's, most of the tank is LPS.  I really don't want to tear the tank down, set it up, tear it down, set it up again...

Love this hobby sometimes!

Thanks for the help.  Any suggestion/advice welcome.  I'm trying to look at this as an opportunity to get rid of most of the sandbed, and maybe an aggressive fish...

Jeff

Get a Rubbermaid tub and throw some lights over it, put all your equipment in there and run as usual. The sump just let's you house your equipment elsewhere, if you're worried, egg crate it off.

Rubbermaid is the way to go!!!! :ph34r: DISTRACTED :ph34r:  :cheers:

Haywood speaks from experience!!  How long did you keep you stuff in that rubbermaid when your tank cracked? Months I believe.

You technically can keep them in there forever if you control everything you controlled in your main tank. You just have the top down view.

Tractor Supply

MOUNT AIRY - 385301 CENTURY DRIVE

MOUNT AIRY,MD 21771

(301) 831-7877

Edited by DuffyGeos

Can I get the 100 Gallon ones at Lowes or Home Depot?

If it is a 911 stop by my place to PU 20762 location LMK

Thanks guys - it's not a 911.  I found one on zoro.com for 90 bucks shipped.  It's a good thing to have as I already tried to use it as an excuse to upgrade the tank.  Wife was not amused ;)

I once put some fish in a 5G plastic drum with no rock and flow and heat only and it was amazing how fast nitrates shot up so take care to monitor the 'trates in those Rubbermaids everyday even if you have rock in it.

Also, one of the biggest reported problems with tank moves is the stirring up of old sandbeds and then an ammonia spike or 'trate storm. If you have about 3 inches of sand in your tank detritus tends to build up in it. If you can use pre-cycled sand in the new tank or rinse the existing sand in tank water that may work. You might try stirring up a small section of the sand and see how much detritus comes out.

I've recently transferred the entire contents of a mature tank into a 150g tub and only hair algae grew. A sea Hare made short work of it. None of the gravel went into the tub.

IT's running on a skimmer and strong circulation. 4 months later and the large acropora is showing new tips.