Anybody Seen This? Rusty Vortech

mogurnda

Right before I left for the summer, I noticed my MP40 running rough.  I pulled it out and discovered why.

vortech_1821_zpsb3f7059f.jpg

This was during a period that I did not have much time to attend to things, but I have no idea how this could have happened.  The wetside is about 5 years old, but still, these are pricey items.

Any ideas?  I sent a message to Ecotech, and will post what I learn.

The epoxy (or whatever they use) to seal the magnet on the wet side must have developed a crack allowing salt water to get to the metal magnet. 

Happens often

..basically at some point you didn't have it aligned perfectly...rubbed on casing and eventually exposes magnet

If you ever buy a wet side inspect the magnet for wear

Old magnets gen1 are also know for doing this on their own

Magnet cost went way up a few yeas ago...from 20 to 50 or so just for the magnet

Its a wear item like brake pads/rotors so its all on you

The epoxy (or whatever they use) to seal the magnet on the wet side must have developed a crack allowing salt water to get to the metal magnet. 

Makes sense.

Happens often

..basically at some point you didn't have it aligned perfectly...rubbed on casing and eventually exposes magnet

If you ever buy a wet side inspect the magnet for wear

Old magnets gen1 are also know for doing this on their own

Magnet cost went way up a few yeas ago...from 20 to 50 or so just for the magnet

Its a wear item like brake pads/rotors so its all on you

Yeah, I can see how rubbing could cause a problem.  Fortunately, I got an email saying they will probably be willing to take care of it if I send them the old one.  Fingers crossed. 

I had some rust beginning to develop on a wet side a few months ago.  Called Ecotech, and they sent me a free replacement.