Red cyanobacteria mystery

Rob A

I have been having a problem with red cyno in my 220 display for a while, couple of months at least, but I was away on vacation for a week and when I came back it was all gone! I'm happy about this but can't figure out what happened and I want to be able to duplicate this in the event of another outbreak...without paying to go away for a week :)

My nephew was babysitting and only added pre-portioned food and vodka. I had 7 little containers of each that just had to be dumped in.

So here is what was different about the tank while I was gone:

-No daily sheets of algae, instead there was hijiki seaweed in the pre-measured food

-I had turned off the UV sterilizer the day before I left when I realized the bulb was 2 years old 

-skimmer cup was not getting dumped

-the pre-measured food might have been a little less than what I normally give them.

-no frozen mysis or brine shrimp (normally they would get 2 pellets a day, unwashed)

I have an Apex controller so I made sure the lights had actually been coming on, etc. Water parameters are the same as they usually are. Any ideas? Was the old UV light stimulating cyano? IS there something in the algae sheets that stimulate the cyano? They got slightly less food but that doesn't seem like it would tip the scale from lots of cyano to no cyano.

Sounds like food, you fed less, and no frozen. Try cutting down to 1 cube a day and dry.

I don't know about the bulb, that might be a reason as well.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry check this out the algae sheets are pretty high in phosphate. Plus less food. Maybe fish sitter fed food slower so all was eaten also? More time for skimmer to work without being dumped? But usually skimmers are more efficient being cleaned. Maybe babysitter drank all the vodka ;)