Efficient return pump

I've got a mag18 currently on my system. It's heating the water noticeably as would be expected for an internal pump. It's also been running for three years now, and I'm sure eventually it will kick the bucket. Hopefully not too soon lol, I know these guys are work horses but I'm not here to push my luck. Well, with some changes I've made on my system it's now possible to use an external pump. I want to try and drop my electrical usage and heat added to the system. So I could use advice on the coolest, most efficient, and quiet pump in a 1000-2000gph range. Ideally built to handle head pressure as I will use gate valves to control the flow. A bleed pipe to run excess water flow to my sump or refugium would be doable.

Normally I would just do forum searches and leave it there. But I remember some of you guys had great/terrible experiences with different pumps. Which they where I do not remember. Any advice/ suggestions will surely help! Thanks

I agree with you on ditching the mag.  Too much of a pain to work on, sucks power, and heats the tank.  For external pumps, you can't beat the Reeflo line.  I've run several Darts on my systems in the past and they're great!  Honestly, I prefer internal pumps though, they're cleaner, safer, and easier to do maintenance on.  For me now, I stick with the Sicce Syncra line of pumps.  They're incredible.  I can't praise them enough for how quiet, and EASY they are to maintain.  You typically see them listed as "Sicce Syncra Silent Pumps" and there's a reason for that!

I'm just looking for an upgrade. While I've thought of running the mag externally it's not ideal. I still have one of the reeflo darts from the system I bought from you L8 2 Rise. But it's 3600gph, far more than I want or need....I'm wanting to free up some space and maybe get my mag 5 out of my sump. It's currently feeding water to my anemone tank. I'll have to look into those silent pumps.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys.

Mags a pain to work on? 4 screws to remove the front, impellers are found in home and garden supply stores, sometimes hardware stores, last 10+ years, cheap, quiet, efficient and dependable.  What's not to like about them? There's a reason why they are the number one pump in use....

I agree with you on ditching the mag.  Too much of a pain to work on, sucks power, and heats the tank.  For external pumps, you can't beat the Reeflo line.  I've run several Darts on my systems in the past and they're great!  Honestly, I prefer internal pumps though, they're cleaner, safer, and easier to do maintenance on.  For me now, I stick with the Sicce Syncra line of pumps.  They're incredible.  I can't praise them enough for how quiet, and EASY they are to maintain.  You typically see them listed as "Sicce Syncra Silent Pumps" and there's a reason for that!

Reeflo are 10 times harder to work on than a mag. They also suck power as well. And most internal pumps are quiet enough that I don't have to go out and buy one because it says "silent", I do like the sicce pumps but not sure how long they last.

Josh I wouldn't worry about the mag failing at all. If it doesn't need to be changed don't fix it. Just spend the money on a backup pump.

How hot is the tank? Gotta remember it helps heat the tank in the winter too.: ) probly not a good point but every bit helps I guess.

(edited)

Josh, forgot about it being too much flow.  I don't have much experience with external pumps other than Reeflo (and the Dart is the smallest they have).  You mentioned that you can now use external, is that something you want to do, or are you open to ideas on both?  In that flow range, internal is probably going to be your best option, but just thought I'd ask.  Not sure what your price range is, but the Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon pumps are supposed to be incredible and match all of your criteria (the quietest and most efficient pump on the market, also adjustable). http://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/10/royal-exclusiv-rd3-speedy-200w/

As for Mags, I'm lazy and don't like having to completely pull the pump out of the sump in order to unscrew it, take it apart, then put it back together.  All other internal pumps take 30 seconds to take apart, fix whatever needs to be fixed, then put back together.  To each their own though, like I said, I'm lazy.  I also personally wouldn't run one externally- I know some have had success, but way too many of them have leaked on way too many people for me to feel safe with it.

In terms of being quiet and efficient- Mags are easily the loudest internal pump I've ever heard- both from the pump and the vibrations (though these can be counteracted)- They're also not efficient.  Mag 18 = 150W, Reeflo Dart=100W for more flow; Mag 9.5 = 93W, Quiet One equivalent = 42W, Sicce Syncra equivalent = 85W, Eheim Equivalent = 80W, etc (I actually couldn't find a pump that was less efficient than a Mag).  One thing to consider with advertised power draw is that power consumption typically goes DOWN after adding head pressure to the pump.  You can find some reviews online that discuss ACTUAL draw, but typically (not: not always) it will be relative to advertised draw (meaning a Mag 9.5 will typically always draw more power than, say, an Eheim under the same conditions).

Mags aren't the number one pump, they might be the most popular pump due to price and durability as you said, but they're definitely not what anyone would "upgrade" to.  They do have their place though- I have two in my mixing vats and they keep the water nice and toasty too, so no need for a heater.

Reeflo are 10 times harder to work on than a mag. They also suck power as well. And most internal pumps are quiet enough that I don't have to go out and buy one because it says "silent", I do like the sicce pumps but not sure how long they last. 

Agreed, I was talking about mags compared to other internal pumps.  Reeflo pumps are pretty efficient for the amount of water they move though...

You bring up a good point on longevity of Sicce Syncra pumps, I've noticed that the 4.0 and up do get damaged pretty easily over time.  Sand or detritus or something can scratch the impeller and make it louder/push less water than when it's first opened.  Definitely something to be aware of.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

My Synchra has been working like a charm with zero maintenance for over a year and I bought it used from another member. You should probably clean ANY pump once a year at the longest so I would say that the Synchra is fine regarding "long term" reliability.

I had a mag and promptly returned it after a day of use. It was so loud you could hear it in the basement fish room while on the second story of my house. I paid about 60 dollars more and got an eheim and love it. It's super quiet and has been pumping for 2 years without a problem.

My Synchra has been working like a charm with zero maintenance for over a year and I bought it used from another member. You should probably clean ANY pump once a year at the longest so I would say that the Synchra is fine regarding "long term" reliability.

+1 I have one as my return now and just had it cleaned about  a month ago after 1 1/2 yr. and put it back in again.  Very reliable.