How to cook rock ( dry rock) ?

NamReefs

• 3 months later...

What do you guys do with the acid or bleach solution once you are done?

I am in the process of doing this so I thought I would bump it up and add a way to get rid of muriatic acid.

How to safely dispose of muriatic acid or clean up muriatic acid spills...

Muriatic acid should NEVER be poured down a storm drain, a sink or flushed down a toilet.  It can cause extreme damage to pipes, dissolve solder and damage the biological balance of your septic system.  Throwing away even a closed container of muriatic acid with the trash can be dangerous for trash handlers, their trucks and possibly cause unexpected chemical reactions in landfills.

Small quantities of spilled muriatic acid will not cause widespread environmental disaster, but it can cause severe damage to plants and animals that may come into contact with it.  It's easy to neutralize a muriatic acid spill common household and/or garden chemicals.

Here are some suggestions...

1) Recycle it!

Many counties or cities have drop sites for recycling hazardous chemicals such as oil-based paints and other household chemicals.  Most will also accept muriatic acid.  Call your local recycling center for more info.

2) Neutralize it!

Earlier, I mentioned using lime (the type used on lawns and gardens) to neutralize acid spills.  Spreading a generous quantity of lime (the powdered or crushed type used for lawn or gardens) or baking soda and adding water will cause a distinctive "fizz" as the lime reacts with the acid to produce a harmless salt, water and release carbon dioxide.  I prefer garden lime over baking soda since it is less expensive, is sold in larger bags and most gardeners have some laying around!

You can also use lime to neutralize leftover muriatic acid.  Get a large bucket.  I prefer 5-gallon size dangerous since the chance of dangerous spattering is minimized in a large bucket.  Put three of four cups of lime in the bottom and a gallon of water.  Give it a stir with a long disposable wooden stirrer (an old 1x2 is fine).  Slowly add the acid to the bucket keeping your face away while pouring (and wearing your respirator).  Stir, adding more acid and more lime until all chemical "fizzing" has stopped.  The fully neutralized acid can now be safely disposed down a sink or storm drain without fear of damage to your septic system or the environment. 

NOTE:  Remember... always add acid to water, not water to acid!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just started this today so I wanted to see if I am doing it right.

(I have 2 35g trashcans taht are full of rock. I measured out 22 gallons+/- of water and added 2.5+/- gals of bleach.  So a 10-11% mix

How long do I leave it? I think I read a couple hours.

Does leaving it overnight cause a problem?

Do I need to put a pump in them?, I mixed them up somewhat with the hose.

Bleach takes a while. Acid works quickly and you will know when it is done because it stops fizzing when it has been neutralized by the calcium carbonate.

Bleach takes a while. Acid works quickly and you will know when it is done because it stops fizzing when it has been neutralized by the calcium carbonate.

Thanks, I went back a read a little more and it looks like there is no harm leaving them in it for a couple days. I might just take them out tomorrow, and add a new batch with a little more bleach. I still have another 1-2 trashcans to go.

Then I was going to do the Acid after they get washed off.