Sump questions!

TRhino35

Does anybody use any type of clean up crew in their sump? I don't have a filter sock on mine at the moment. I know that's dumb. Anyways I found a baby blue leg hermit in my sump tonight and it made me think. There's prolly food on the bottom of this thing. If there's food there's prolly nitrates. So that's why I was wondering. Your thoughts????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can keep bad crabs and hermit in it or even shrimps. I have a hermit in mine. He used to be in my 125 and kept climbing on top of the sps colony. so he went right into the sump/fuge for a year+. recently I took him out and put him into the 150. He then killed 2 of my turbo and now back into the sump.

You can keep bad crabs and hermit in it or even shrimps. I have a hermit in mine. He used to be in my 125 and kept climbing on top of the sps colony. so he went right into the sump/fuge for a year+. recently I took him out and put him into the 150. He then killed 2 of my turbo and now back into the sump.

Lol. Darn crab. I threw him back in my display. If he finds his way back to the sump that may be where he stays.

I have about 6 peppermint shrimp in my fuge/sump, they I dont have a screen on my overflow and they kept getting sucked down there, so I just left them there, they are doing fine, I probably have some snails and crabs in there too

I have about 6 peppermint shrimp in my fuge/sump, they I dont have a screen on my overflow and they kept getting sucked down there, so I just left them there, they are doing fine, I probably have some snails and crabs in there too

Guess I ain't the only one with creatures in my sump. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Take a light and look at your sump at night, you will be amazed at the numer of critters in there.

Mine has a hairy crab in it and a trillion pods that get the food down there. Nothing lives down there that eats em. I also vac the dead spot with water change.

I would say you can 100% keep a clean up crew but I don't know I would look to add it.  If it happens it happens but if you ask me its better to let your pod population handle anything that gets in their.  Keeps them spawning and they will find a balance.  Like others said I do put in the sump for punishment as  I have a few big hermits and crabs.  My overflows all have peppermint shrimp (never added just wound up their).  The amount of life in their is insane from mysid shrimp and pods.  Hence my big fat Mandarins.