Design me a sump

morgan175

I am in the progress of building a 40 B. I am using a 20 L for the sump. I want to have an area for a skimmer a refuge and a return. I have no clue on how to make or place baffles at this point. I have read where you start with the skimmer and figure what water depth you should place it. I have not figured on what skimmer to use yet. I am a reef octopus fan but would like to give another brand a shot. I like using filter socks at my return.

Is Home Depot where I get my glass for the sump or should I use plexi glass. I have read where people use a tinted glass for baffles. Where can I find that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowes has 1/8th inch glass and they cut for free. It's thin so if you want I've heard people double up on it. I used just one layer and am happy with it

I used cheap HD glass, it was super thin so I doubled it uo on the left and right chambers that were holding water just to be safe. I had it cut at HD around 1/4" shorter than I needed so it fit easily and I bought GE II clear silicone, which is what I use to silicone/re-silicone all my tanks.

if you cant tell from the picture, my overflow splits off and drains to my Fuge on the left and my skimmer chamber on the right before overflowing into the middle chamber to my return pump. everything works great but if I could do it again I would have made my skimmer and fuge chambers a little smaller to allow for a larger return area, due to the fact that until recently I did not own an ATO and I had to add water to my sump daily for evaporation.

post-2633739-0-43817000-1402826367_thumb.jpgpost-2633739-0-61143500-1402826409_thumb.jpgpost-2633739-0-09509500-1402826468_thumb.jpg

Figure out what skimmer you are going to use and design your sump around that piece of equipment since it's the largest that will be going in the sump.