I need a new Protein Skimmer

JR-Tanked150

So I'm looking for a different protein skimmer for 40g with a sump. We currently have a HOB. I'm looking for everyones experience on what to buy and why and of course what to avoid. There are so many different ones and it gets really confusing on even the design of them. So what do you like and why?

Okay...so there are alot of variables...the biggest is cost...where are you trying to stay around?

If not to expensive, I used to LOVE asm skimmers, efficient and not expensive...

I have a euroreef rs80 for sale.   Narrow footprint   what size is your space in the sump. 

also it is important to know what kind of chambering is in your sump as most skimmers are very picky about having the water level in their compartment staying the same.  Can you post a pic of your sump

Here is the sump... We received it for free and plan on putting it to good use. Looking at the left side of the sump I was told those pipe looking contraptions use to be part of an integral skimmer. Not sure if the picture shows it well but that same section is divided with a 1/8" divider. We are looking for the best way to utilize this sump and use it with a reputable skimmer at a reasonable cost..

post-2633899-0-56021100-1402705632_thumb.jpg

post-2633899-0-27820600-1402705783_thumb.jpg

post-2633899-0-95030900-1402706018_thumb.jpg

SERIOUS, after seeing the pics  what I think should happen is for you to look for a 20 long and make your own sump.  Find a skimmer and chamber the sump for the skimmer you choose.  I have a trashcan full of glass tops in my barn if u need some glass for the chambers chambers.  I am not trying to be negative about the sump you have.  

Look and see if they still have the 20 long tanks at petco for $20

We got the sump for free from davelin315, and would like to try and put it to use. Unfortunately we have never seen and sump set up/design like this one.

I don't see this sump as a problem...

though you may need to use the section that has one of those cylinders in it and use the cylinder as a riser depending in the height of the water in the sump when you get it hooked into your system...

Looks nice and big and definently usable....

You can fit a number of different skimmers in there - nice thing about the sump is the height and ability to adjust it. Worst case scenario, cut the plate out that holds the old skimmer assemblies or cut the tubes out to add more room.

I can not tell by the pics what I would have to do to use the sump to be honest, guess I should not have run my mouth.

We might have to cut out the insides, I do like the height of the sump. Anyway I'm looking for everyone's advice on types of protein skimmers right now.

Okay, so what would be your total volume? How low or high is you bioload? And how much do you want to spend? And do you want to be able to upgrade and still use this skimmer if you get a say, 75g tank?

60g ish for total volume. Corals only and some snails, no fish. Not going to upgrade either. As far as price I think that would depend on what's going to work with what we've got and a whether or not it's a reputable skimmer.

So no one has a favorite skimmer or one brand they would recommend? Or avoid?

So no one has a favorite skimmer or one brand they would recommend? Or avoid?

Avast CS1 with a PSK-1000

Stay away from coralife 125. I had one on the same set up as you have and it was junk. I upgraded to a RS80 and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

Why do you like the reef octopus?

Edited by JR-Tanked150

I have the Bubble Magus Curve 5 in my 20L DIY sump.  Produces awesome skimmate, very quiet, never had any issues with it thus far (almost a year).  Recommended water depth is 9.5" - 11".  Footprint is very small and rated up to 140 Gal.  Retails at about $209. 

If your looking for a cheaper but efficient alternative I have heard rave reviews about the SCA Aquariums 302 (180 Gallons), SCA 303 (150 Gallons).  They are in the $170 range.  I can't speak too much to these since I have never owned one but from videos and reviews they seem a decent low cost alternative.

Other more experience members please feel free to chime in if I'm slightly off the mark on my two cents.

(edited)

So for a fairly inexpensive but good skimmer...asm is a great option..

.I have an swc which was okay, and they are probably fine with the new pumps..just stay away from the ones with the atman pumps...

And I'm currently trying to break in my Cs1...

Edited by smallreef

I have a euroreef rs80 in great condition, new impeller.  $120   Great skimmer and small footprint.  Rated for 80 gallon. 

After some more research, we are leaning toward an Avast protein skimmer, I'm hoping its not going to be to big for my sump and tank size.