Drill tank advice.

blesk

Hi i currently buy 93g cube 30x30x24 rimless tank need advice on overflow box i cone use jebao dc6000 pump for return (cone branch it return too bio pallets reactor and gfo reactor) and i need advice vhot size overflow box too use i now glass holes have 2 off them 700 and 1500 gph return i cona use 3/4 inch  single line or any other suggestions . 

• 2 weeks later...

Google 90 Gallon cube reef. The results should give you some idea on how you may want to approach this build. DSA gone ?

The glass-holes figures for flow rate are a little unrealistic.  When I design an overflow box I'm looking to have close to 24" of linear overflow length for 1500gph.  Their 1500gph overflow is only 12" long...and only half of that is overflow space once you take out the teeth.  If you were to run the flow that high through that box the water level would easily run close to the top of the teeth (too which they admit in install directions " water level in our boxes will be just over ½ to ¾ of the way up the teeth" ...not optimal surface skimming action there.  That being said, you don't need to run 1500gph through your overflow box in a 93 gallon tank =).

If it were me and I had the space and didn't mind it, I would use the bigger 1500gph box in your tank anyway.  You will have better surface skimming and won't be taxing the overflow box as much.  Your pump is rated over 1500gph (at zero head), but you won't need all that flow through your tank...nor would I recommend it running that high through that box.  Your needed flow rate depends on what you will be putting in your tank, but all in all you generally (not applicable in all cases, but most) shoot for 3-5 times turnover through the sump and any additional turnover is provided by your powerheads in tank. The other reason for using the larger box is that you will have two 1.5" drains...this means less water volume going through each pipe which should help you keep it quieter.

As for a single 3/4" return line, yes you could have that work in your 93 just fine.  

Keep in mind that Glass Holes sets the maximum of the 1500 gph box at 1500 gallons per hour. They recommend that you operate it at 500 to 1000 gph. Adam's right that 1,500 gph is a bit unrealistic for this box. That flow rate leads to a flow rate of over 20 linear inches per second at 3/4". I have two of them along the back of my 210.

doubtful you'll need anything more than the 700 box if you only have a 3/4" return line. A typical overflow on a 90g tank has only 8" of overflow length and is fine for a 1" drain. The pump will most certainly be valved back unless you build a manifold to use the extra flow. 2) 1.5" drains on a 93 is silly.

thanks every one for advice i will start the build in next couple weeks i think i gou vith the 1500 and two 3/4 returns for flow use 1 mp10 or the new rw8 jebao .