Vodka dosing vs GFO

Ben A

THat is of course another option, but for my purposes and preferences, not really looking at Biopellets.

Actually I guess Im more looking for peoples experiences with vodka dosing in general. Did you have phasphate problems while dosing? What were the overall effects on your corals? Any other observations or experiences? I understand Vodka is primarily used for Nitrate, but from my research it also reduces phosphates, just not as well. I know people sometimes run both GFO and dose Vodka, but have read alot of people no longer needing GFO after they started dosing.  

Carbon dosing (vodka, vinegar, biopellets) is more effective if you thoroughly understand the biology and chemistry of carbon dosing. If you overdose, there can be some serious effects. 

For more info: 

A) http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

B) http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

In that respect, GFO is an easier method of phosphate reduction. You just add a media reactor and change out the resin as needed.

Vodka dosing works great I mix it with vinegar 50/50. I used it to lower phosphate and nitrate and it def worked fast. After about a month my levels we're good so I turned my biopellet reactor back on to keep the levels stable. If I ever have an out break I will repeat this process since I had great results. No change in coral except seemed more happy when the levels dropped obviously. I've never ran Gfo so I can't comment on it . Good luck

Haven't tried vodka dosing but experts say it requires a lot of precision testing and dosing. Too much can cuase big problems.

It is recommend to start carbon dosing at a lower rate to avoid shocking your system. Increase over a span of several weeks to the desired rate and nitrogen and phosphorus levels will lower.

I am using biopellets in combo with MicroBacter7 (Quantum Aquaria suggestion) to build up the bacteria in my tank. As of now, no algae and my corals are popping with color.

(edited)

I use vodka in my frag tank and display tank. The nitrates came down to 0 in the frag and I had to taper off a bit as some spa started fading. Phosphates were pretty low but I started some gfo just in case. I don't have the numbers at the moment...

My display took a lot longer to come down (220 with about 50 sump) but I have all these big ass fish...it is still at 20 ppm no3 as of last weekend.

Edited by Rob A

Tony, what is your formula again? I know you mix vinegar and vodka. Do you put sugar in too or just do half and half? I asked you at the last meeting and then forgot and asked you also at the one before that and forgot. This time I'll write it down.

Tony, what is your formula again? I know you mix vinegar and vodka. Do you put sugar in too or just do half and half? I asked you at the last meeting and then forgot and asked you also at the one before that and forgot. This time I'll write it down.

50% vodka and 50% white vinegar.  No sugar. I found sugar caused corals to brown out, zoox got too excited.

Actually I guess Im more looking for peoples experiences with vodka dosing in general. Did you have phasphate problems while dosing? What were the overall effects on your corals? Any other observations or experiences? I understand Vodka is primarily used for Nitrate, but from my research it also reduces phosphates, just not as well. I know people sometimes run both GFO and dose Vodka, but have read alot of people no longer needing GFO after they started dosing.  

I  used to dose 3-5ml daily in my 90 gal I used to have problems with Nitrates being as high as 80, when I switched tanks, I started with 1ml daily and every 4-5 days I doubled the dosage until I was at 10ml then I increased 1ml a week until I hit 0 nitrates then I cut the dose in half (3-5ml). now I dose occasionally, but not religiously like I used to when I had a nitrate problem.

I will probably start again when I do my 125 Upgrade, dont have any experience with GFO to share sorry 

I used to dose 3-5ml daily in my 90 gal I used to have problems with Nitrates being as high as 80, when I switched tanks, I started with 1ml daily and every 4-5 days I doubled the dosage until I was at 10ml then I increased 1ml a week until I hit 0 nitrates then I cut the dose in half (3-5ml). now I dose occasionally, but not religiously like I used to when I had a nitrate problem.

I will probably start again when I do my 125 Upgrade, dont have any experience with GFO to share sorry

Any problems not dosing religiously? My nitrates are nill but I still have quite a bit of algae on the glass. Been toying with the idea of a low level of carbon dosing but I know I won't be religious about it.

Any problems not dosing religiously? My nitrates are nill but I still have quite a bit of algae on the glass. Been toying with the idea of a low level of carbon dosing but I know I won't be religious about it.

no issues with nitrates climbing back up once they were at zero, but I have seen some Hair algae, which may be related to the removal of my tangs, everyone always says that you should find out why your nitrates are high and work on that rather than band aiding it, in my case I knew why lol my tank was over stocked, I overfed, and I was having some spikes due to a mini cycle from upgrading from a 40gal to a 90, I am about to do a little upgrade again and will most likely start dosing to help out, I did notice that my Zoas and Palys growth rate slowed significantly while dosing however the color improved on them and they generally looked healthier than before.