SC beach turns beautifully blue waters

gmerek2

It's probably not actually a good thing. Clear blue water is probably signifying large scale death of microbial life which associated with the clay in the sand turn water brownish. 

Then again a good South East Wind and shift in the jet stream could have just blown all the turbidity away for a bit.

Um yeah no!  This can't be right as I am from Charleston and surfed Wash Out at Folley my entire life! I have not been home in awhile but I am asking my friend who is a marine biologist there what her thoughts are on it.

i was at Myrtle beach for my daughters graduation and the water was nice but not looking like that, but i was much more north.

Well I was wrong!

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140514/PC16/140519629

And from my friend- the project stirred up heavier particles which have sort of latched on to the smaller sediments and pulled them out of suspension. That and lack of wind/ rain which usually stirs things up makes the water more clear. Add on some light refraction and there you go. Don't think it's a big deal for marine life.

On-shore winds pushing the gulf stream in close can do this.  It won't last very long... the cool thing is that sargassum tends to wash in with it and there are tons of interesting critters attached.