Aquariam Fisherman attacks envionmentalist, caught on tape

Yeah, CoralHind posted this up yesterday!

People react strongly when they think their livelihoods are being threatened.  On the Great Salt Lake in Utah, the brine shrimp lay very expensive floating eggs in the fall.  The collection companies take hovercrafts out before dawn and compete to sweep as much water as possible in the egg harvest.  Boat "accidents" are common and a relative out there told me that every few years a hovercraft fisherman washes up dead from a shotgun blast at the prime collection sites.  While pulling a regulator out of someone's mouth isn't as serious as a shotgun, it shows how angry the collector was.  

By the way, if a diver is stupid enough to drown or get an embalism because they can't drop a shoulder and sweep their left arm to recover a regulator, then maybe they should be on the annual Darwin's list! Recovering and purging a regulator is standard to every scuba training.  Not only did we learn to recover regulators in class, but during drills the dive instructors would come up behind us and actually turn off our air valves!  Of course they loitered to see that we knew how to recover.

But it's ridiculous to call losing a regulator for a few seconds like the environmentalist described a life threatening situation.  I love environmentalists, but this one was prone to wild exaggeration. 

• 1 month later...

This happened a while ago.  The issue is this.  How do they know it was an aquarium fisherman.  The reaction that i saw was one of a poacher caught in the act.  Someone who has a business and all their license would care less if they were being watched.  The activist also need to realize that coral reefs are dieing and it may come down to enthusiast  to repopulate endangered corals.  You also do not know what the activist are doing.  Ive seen green peace break the law on a regular basis when i was in the navy.