Inside a lionfish belly

gmerek2

This is a 10" lionfish. All these were found in his belly. They are invasive and eating lots of Florida and Caribbean reef fish. Hoax or big bellies?Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snorkeling I saw a lot of them hovering on the drop off out to my cruise ship port. Grand Turks. I'm impressed that they could catch the tangs. I did keep a large mouth bass once that could give him a run for his money.

Honestly I don't think all that in one seems likely. We spent a week with the NAB cutting open stomachs, and hardly saw such intact or so many fish inside. The lions also hardly looked so "good" after dissection as in the pic. Found a few nice filefish, but we were often asking experts to identify even genus of the fish we found.

But, I could very well be wrong.

Honestly I have seen a lion fish wipe out a tank of fish in one night. I sold my black lion to a guy who said he had a 150gal. I was done with predators. He didn't tell me it was a reef tank. I believe he ate 5 chromis and three antias a six line wrasse. And a jaw fish. Crazy.

The lionfish looks whole, unopened. I really doubt that large tang would be able to fit past the esophagus without being crushed up some. The tang looks too perfect for that. Where was the picture taken at? The tangs look like Pacific tangs.