DIY Reef Ready plans

SixtyFeetUnder

Does anyone have a link to a good set of plans for turning a standard tank to a reef ready tank?  Not sure how difficult setting up the plumbing/drilling is and if it really is advised to save money when thinking about a larger (200+) setup.  Any thoughts and points in the right direction are appreciated.

I'm in the same boat. Following along. Me - 75 gallon, already have. Thinking CPR overflow box because of cost. I'm most interested in where the holes get drilled in respect to the top. Can't seem to get firm guidance on exact location with a moderate amount of research done. Understand the positives of a CTC, but how much would acryllic CTC overflow run roughly? 

I drilled a 220 over the summer that was not set up as a reef. I ordered this overflow kit from glass-holes.com and installed it in the center of the back of the tank

http://glass-holes.com/1500-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh1500kit.htm

The overflow box has the bulkhead holes in the back already so I used it to gauge where to drill the holes in the glass. I wasn't sure on how high or low to mount the box, but I knew I didn't want to see a waterline below the top edge of the tank trim or drain a ton of water during a power failure so I decided where I wanted the water line to be (about a 1/4 or 1/2 above the bottom of the trim if I remember correctly) and allowed for about 1/4 inch of water height through the teeth of the strainer box and used that as a guide for where to place it.

It's hard to explain so if you think this info is useful I could provide pictures or more info.

For the returns I drilled 2 holes, one on each end for 1" bulkheads and kind of guessed at the height, but the guess was based on how far down the water would drain during a power outage.

I drilled a non RR 100g and am happy with the results. The glass-holes kit is a good way to go, but you can find less expensive kits that will do the same thing (search on eBay).

Drilling the tank is really not difficult at all, just be sure that the glass you are drilling is not tempered. I drilled my overflow drains, and just ran the return line over the rim of the tank. It is not too noticeable, and saves you putting another hole in the back glass.

Good luck! 

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

I drilled a non RR 100g and am happy with the results. The glass-holes kit is a good way to go, but you can find less expensive kits that will do the same thing (search on eBay).

Drilling the tank is really not difficult at all, just be sure that the glass you are drilling is not tempered. I drilled my overflow drains, and just ran the return line over the rim of the tank. It is not too noticeable, and saves you putting another hole in the back glass.

Good luck! 

Hi I just picked up a 6' 125 gal and  plan on drilling in with a center overflow, I picked up a 2400GPH internal overflow box on Ebay and was planning on doing 2 x 1" Bulkheads to drain it but I have been doing some reading and not sure if that's enough , originally I thought that it would be plenty but now i'm not so sure, I am also planning on drilling 2 x 3/4" returns

would love some input,

maybe I should do a build thread and ask all my questions/ intentions there 

Edited by Crob5965

It all depends on your flow rate. I did 4 1" returns, but two would be ok for my return rate. I run my DC6000 on a setting of "4" at about 2ft total head pressure. Not sure what that equates to in GPH, but it is adequate for my fuge and sump.

You really dont need a massive return rate. In my opinion, flow within the tank is better achieved with powerheads.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Just put one of those backdrops on the back of your tank with a picture of a coral reef and you could save thousands and maybe even qualify for tank of the month.  :rolleyes:

sounds good, I have a DC6000 running on my 90, I think it's on #3, I'm thinking it will be fine for the 125g I'm pretty sure 2 x 1" overflows and 2x 3/4 returns will work but just wanted to get some opinions before I start drilling holes lol