Looking for sand........

Larry Grenier

Need to jump in here. I was at the Manassas Southern States just this week looking for the stuff. The Tropical Play Sand variety is no longer available. It's been replaced by the same clear bag, blue label but named just White Play Sand and appears to be silica sand. I spoke with a sales rep about this and he said that Southdown/YardRight stopped shipping it to them for some kind of legal reasons (I didn't ask what that legal reason was). However, it's only 4 bucks a 40# bag of washed play sand so if you want to use silica sand then it's a super cheap way to go. 120 lbs of caribsea will cost you anywhere between 120 and 150 bucks.

yep its the "yard right" variety

51496[/snapback]

Any other affordable options out there?

51540[/snapback]

A few years ago my wife told me to stockpile the stuff from Home Depot and I thought she was crazy. Good thing I listened to her. I needed almost all of it for my new setup (5" DSB in both the 48"x18" display and 30" sump).

What I have left is half a bag (probably about 25 lbs.?). I can bring it to the next meeting or you can come pick it up in DC if you're interested. If not, please let me know so I can offer it to someone else. I owe my wife the favor of cleaning up my reefy mess.

BTW, I don't ask for anything in return. I only regret not having more to give. (Hmmm, sounds like something they could inscribe in my tombstone memorial).

Cheers,

Steve

A few years ago my wife told me to stockpile the stuff from Home Depot and I thought she was crazy.  Good thing I listened to her.  I needed almost all of it for my new setup (5" DSB in both the 48"x18" display and 30" sump). 

What I have left is half a bag (probably about 25 lbs.?).  I can bring it to the next meeting or you can come pick it up in DC if you're interested.  If not, please let me know so I can offer it to someone else.  I owe my wife the favor of cleaning up my reefy mess.

BTW, I don't ask for anything in return.  I only regret not having more to give.  (Hmmm, sounds like something they could inscribe in my tombstone memorial).

Cheers,

Steve

51569[/snapback]

I looked everywhere for this several months ago. It's pretty much not available

any more.

However, I did find a source:

Dr. Mac Bought out a Southern States a year or 2 ago, and still had a bunch.

I bought 7 bags from him ($4/bag) (Yardright Tropical Play Sand)

Not sure if he has any left, but it sure was worth a drive out there.

tim

I only travel to Virginia if I have to, so let's plan to meet at the 2/25 WAMAS meeting.

Steve,

I'll take what you have left; I really appreciate it.  Can I pick it up at the next meeting or do you plan a trip to BRK?

Larry

51571[/snapback]

Steve,

I'll take what you have left; I really appreciate it.  Can I pick it up at the next meeting or do you plan a trip to BRK?

Larry

51571[/snapback]

pm sent