The great LED debate?

GaryL

The shaded areas are annoying with LEDs even with 120degree optics on my tank, and I wonder how they will effect the growth of the corals down the road given the fact that LEDs are point-source?

I can believe this. Remember, with most metal halides, there's a reflector that really opens up the size of the light source relative to the tank opening size making shadowing less of an issue. If you're running a physically small led array, it's possible that you may run into more of a shadowing issue. Maybe this calls for larger (more disperse) LED arrays on a curved heat sink, or an arrangement including multiple fill lights?

Found this today and thought others would benefit from it. Nice light fixture but way to much $$$$$

This unit is 8x54w t5 and 3x75w led clusters.

Par reading of t5 and leds. Leds are at 100%

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274338&page=2

Similar product here, and half the cost -

http://www.prestige-led.com/products.html

Looks like an Evergrow LED fixture with two T5s on each end.

I've not taken par readings from my G3Pros, but the light is best described as more "crisp" and natural. The Evergrows were wonerful, but seeing the "realness" I can get from the Radions makes me wish I had 4 vs 2. I would like to try a MH/LED combo when we move. I have yet to see a tank under just T5's, except for Bens, and his tanks look beautiful. Again, based off looks alone, not par readings, the G3's could emulate it.

I've not taken par readings from my G3Pros, but the light is best described as more "crisp" and natural. The Evergrows were wonerful, but seeing the "realness" I can get from the Radions makes me wish I had 4 vs 2. I would like to try a MH/LED combo when we move. I have yet to see a tank under just T5's, except for Bens, and his tanks look beautiful. Again, based off looks alone, not par readings, the G3's could emulate it.

If you are ever in Orlando visit World Wide Corals. Their display tanks are T5s only with Reefbrite LED strips for a little shimmer. Their corals grow crazy and look amazing.

I am considering getting a hybrid T5/LED fixture. Best of both worlds. T5s to fill the entire tank with an even amount of light, and then LEDs to add a little shimmer.

I am considering getting a hybrid T5/LED fixture. Best of both worlds. T5s to fill the entire tank with an even amount of light, and then LEDs to add a little shimmer.

You should do an Evergrow IT2080 with T5 on the outside edges. It would be unstopable.

You should do an Evergrow IT2080 with T5 on the outside edges. It would be unstopable.

That's what those Prestige Lights were above. Basically an Evergrow in the middle with two T5s on each end.

I'm sure it could be done

I may actually be able to do that. I have everything I need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk