CS1 Pump is not working

Curtis Scott

I just noticed this morning the main pump on my CS1 is not working. I have it soaking in a bucket with warm tap water and vinegar for now in hopes of cleaning it up and getting it working again.

My concern is it won't even turn on and I've never cleaned in the past 1+ year. (I know big mistake)

This is the CS1 with recirculating pump, is it safe to take apart? Are there any resources you can point me to? 

Edited by Curtis Scott

Curtis, this is the PSK-1000? Did you buy it new?

it could be the impeller...

when u turn it on ..do you hear a hum sound close to the motor 

if u do then its likely just the impeller

open up the single screw and then use the soft side handle of a vice grip to rotate the impeller cover counter clockwise..

the impeller come of easily after that

i had an older psk1000 with a swollen impeller...replaced that and works like a champ

i also keep a backup psk1000 at all times.

open up the single screw and then use the soft side handle of a vice grip to rotate the impeller cover counter clockwise..

+1

the impeller come of easily after that

I do hear the humming sound, I'll give this a shot. Thanks! 

Humming is a good sign - it says that the motor block may still be generating the field  needed to turn the impeller and it may just be a stuck impeller that you're dealing with.

After you open it up, try turning the impeller. If it sticks, then pull the impeller and shaft out. Inspect the magnet body for scuff marks, swelling and cracking. Inspect the shaft for cracks or breaks. If you see either, you need to replace the broken component. 

Does the impeller turn freely on the shaft? If it doesn't turn freely on the shaft, it could be calcium carbonate build up on the shaft. Soak the impeller for a few hours in vinegar and try to free it up. Once you can get the shaft out, soak the pieces separated. The run the shaft through the impeller body a few times to scrub the inside of the impeller body clean of deposits. Once it spins freely on the shaft, put it all back together and give it a try.

Sorry for the delayed response. Upon further inspection it is not making any sound at all. I plan to take it apart tonight; hoping it just needs a good cleaning.