Adding 2nd Watanabei Angel Female

dmatt56

Hello Everyone,

I added a 2nd Watanabei Angel Female to my 180 yesterday.  The new female angel is large than my first Watanabei Angel, but both angels appear to be female.

The new angel is getting chased by the old female and my yellow tang (2 largest fish in tank).  The yellow tang treated the first angel the same way when I first added her to the tank. The tang eventually got used to the angel and both were fine.

I'm hopefully after 2-3 days all three will be swimming harmoniously in the tank.  I'm hoping the larger angel eventually turns male.

Has anyone tried adding a 2nd female Watanabei Angel to their tank?  What are other's experiences?

Thanks,

Mat

I have a fully grown yellow tang in the tank and added two female Watanabai. It was pretty hectic at first, the tang kept trying to spike them with its tail and chased them around the tank. Literally after a day, the tang laid off and let them be if it had jumped them both into its gang or something. The larger female chases the little female Wananabei all the time trying to show dominance I guess. I've had them for a month now but no sign of any sex change yet.

They are both very lively and bring a lot of color into my tank. Not shy at all, they look like they schooled up with my chromis in a way. They both eat like a horse, algae sheets, pellet, flakes, you name it.

I also notice that one of my Wantanabei picking at my sps at one point, didn't really do any damage but they do get curious sometimes.

I haven't tried them personally but I've done a lot of angelfish reading.  From what I've read your tank size is big enough, and I assume you have enough rockwork and hiding places for the new addition. If you're serious or desperate you could put a temporary divider in the tank center and keep the new angel alone in half the tank.  It would only take a week or two, I'd hope.  And one of them should turn male and solve your problem if the new fish survives long enough.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

It looks like my new female may have actually been turning male.  It's starting to show the male lines on the back tail.

Do you think it's possible that my original female was actually male without showing the male pattern?

Day 2: new larger "female" is still getting chased by the older and small female.

Matt

I think anything is possible. I would also consider new markings to appear as stress. I had some flames I thought were turning, but turns out it was stress colors and markings that showed.

Hello everyone

I purchased a large (4.5") blue watanabei angel female from Divers Den last Friday. Unfortunately, my old female chases her non stop. I don't want to see her die or stressed anymore.

Also - she's turning male. Males sell for $300. I guess my old one was also male without the markings. :(

She's in the sump now - don't want to see her attacked anymore.

The divers den guarantee is until April 4. Money back if it dies in your tank before then. That's better than most local store.

I'm Asking what I paid for her $150 (no tax or shipping).

Here's a link to her purchase page with photo:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=220132

She's in the sump and ready to go.

Please Let me know.

Thanks

Matt

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I finally made an acclimation box out of egg crate. So, when transferring the angel to the box, it bounced into the main tank. Ahhhh.

Well, I lucked out. When trying to catch it again, I actually caught the smaller and more aggressive angel!! I'm very excited about my luck.

How much time should I keep the smaller more aggressive female in the box before releasing it again? I want to ensure the larger more docile angel has time to adapt in the tank and stake his territory.

Does anyone have any recommendations for acclimation? I've heard of keeping the lights out and even waiting keep her in there for three weeks.

Thanks

Matt