Alkalinity overdose

brcolli2

I turned my dosing pump on this morning, and forgot to turn it off. My alkalinity rose from around 9 to 14.4. Is there anything I can/should do? Or is it best just to wait it out and let the alkalinity lower on its own? Thanks. As of now nothing in the tank appears affected.

What's the pH in the tank? This would be the biggest concern. If over 8.6, try bringing the level down slowly with a little soda water (aka club soda, not tonic water).

That's getting up there, but it's not horribly unreasonable if everything is looking stable. The high alk can bother some SPS, so if you could do a water change, it might help. Otherwise, just watch it closely and things will settle out. It goes without saying that you need to stop dosing alkalinity (but continue your calcium dosing) until the alk falls back into line.

Happened to me too once... it will fall naturally and rather quickly too... I didn't lose anything at all but everything was covered in white powder for a while..

Posted Image

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Happened to me too once... it will fall naturally and rather quickly too... I didn't lose anything at all but everything was covered in white powder for a while..

u9e8u3es.jpg

That looks like a Kalk overdose not an Alk. Either way the pH is on the high side but if it's settling down, I would say caulk it up as a lesson learned. Let the Alk come down also. pH will probably drop over night too. This is why my Alk and ATO dosers are set up on the Apex with this final code after the dose times. "If pH >8.30 then off". If you do not have a controller get some digital timers.

I had an Alk overdose once. I think it killed my emerald but that was it. Inverts are more sensitive than the fish. It came down naturally.

Update. Woke up this morning and my alk was at 12.8. Did a 20 gallon water change, and now it is at 11.6 with a pH of 8.40. Hopefully everything will be okay.

That looks like a Kalk overdose not an Alk.

Nope... half a bottle of reef fusion ALK.. scared me pretty bad haha...