Avast CS1 vs Reef Oct. NWB-150

Ben A

(edited)

Im sure everyone has an opinion, I would like to hear them. I have a 120 with 40 gallon sump. I have been using a CS1 recirc but find it to be a bit noisy, and as we all do when we have a little money, wonder if some new piece of equipment would do better then what we have. So am wondering if the Reef Octopus would skim any better and may be a little quieter.

Edited by Ben A

I'm using the last gen cs1 with a psk1000 and a maxi 1200

And it's pretty darn quiet.

The stuff it collect never falls to amaze me.

Posted Image

It's not that old, it's the first model that came as a recirc without having to modify it. The noise is the air intake. The silencer just doesn't do enough. I can't hear the pumps otherwise.

I took the tube off that goes to the silencer and stuck a longer and smaller tube inside it. It lowered the noise by a lot.Posted Image

Why dont you just order the silencer from the other skimmer... that would give you the comparison or a fix

Or route the air intake tube further away from where you sit or outside etc

Rob will be here soon with: loud pipes save lives." What was said above, just get a replacement silencer, my cs3 is quieter than my mag 5, and it pulls air by x2 psk-1000's. I've never tried an RO, so I can't tell you anything on that front.

Noisy skimmer is a frequent complaint in many places where we install CS1's since I install them without the stock air silencer. I then direct the tube elsewhere in the stand or up higher out of earshot or put noise reduction panels in the stand.

But Isacc's right- Loud Pipes Save Lives- best way to tell if the skimmer is working correctly because when they get quiet, they're not pulling in any air. I suspect that super quiet air 'silencers' will get clogged much quicker.

Found this

Avast CS1 - 9"x10"x22" (3.75" neck) / Sicce PSK-1000 (60 watts) / 800-900 lph (28-32 scfh) air draw / 880 gph/ 200g Max Rating

reef octopus pump

• Hailea OTP 2000 Pinwheel Pump
  • Wattage: 21w
  • Air Draw: 420 lph / 15 SCFH*
  • Water Draw: 720 lph / 190 GPH
    • Body Size: 6"
    • Footprint: 13" x 6.7"
    • Neck Size: 3"
    • Total Height: 22"

Im gonna say avast but im biased....i have a cs1 recirc, and they are local

air draw and water draw are more,

its also rated for a slightly larger tank

I think the 200 is a better match to the cs1

but ask Justin/Dan.....ive asked and they have told me their personal opinion despite obviously wanting business...

Also avast customer service as you probably know is nuts (most likely justin has pmd you or you can pm him and something will be figured out quickly

Other than the noise, anyone know which skims better?

While I'm not Mr. Skimmer aka SteveOutlaw I have had a few of them including higher end stuff like Deltec. You'd be hard pressed to find one that produces better than the CS1. Add in a Swabie & it punches way above it's weight. The swabie keeps the production up - you'd need to clean your average skimmer every other day to maintain the production. Yes, you can fit a swabie onto other skimmers but the CS1 & the Swabie go together like peas & carrots.

There's also the pump Sicce versus Hailea? I'll take Sicce thank you. The new models are pretty darn good.

I have one "bone" to pick with the CS1 & that's pump removal. Disconnecting the pump from the uni-seals is a b*tch, PITA. Did that once, never again. I simply put the entire bottom plate & pump into a bucket to soak/clean = good to go (the rest of it is fairly easy to disassemble).

We did increase the size of the silencer in the latest revision.  It is acrylic and 2" diameter, and not connected to the gate valve.  If your silencer is in the same assembly as the gate valve (and made of 1" diameter clear PVC), then you may want to consider this upgrade kit:

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/CS1-Upgrade-Kit

I have one "bone" to pick with the CS1 & that's pump removal. Disconnecting the pump from the uni-seals is a b*tch, PITA. Did that once, never again. I simply put the entire bottom plate & pump into a bucket to soak/clean = good to go (the rest of it is fairly easy to disassemble).

Erik, try using some silicone grease on the uniseals/pump nozzles.  It makes inserting & removing much easier.  Then again, just putting the bottom plate in to soak works too.  I'll admit I'm guilty of never cleaning my skimmers though. My QT system has an original design CS1 that hasn't been cleaned in at least 2 years (except the swabbie/cup).

Erik, try using some silicone grease on the uniseals/pump nozzles.  It makes inserting & removing much easier.  Then again, just putting the bottom plate in to soak works too.  I'll admit I'm guilty of never cleaning my skimmers though. My QT system has an original design CS1 that hasn't been cleaned in at least 2 years (except the swabbie/cup).

Okay, I'll admit it........I have "issues"........I like a clean skimmer  :rolleyes:  I'll admit the only thing that really needs cleaning is the venturi - that seems to get a bit clogged every few months or so.

FWIW - I did put silicone on the uniseals, helped getting them in.......not so much months later getting them out :laugh: Doesn't matter, easy enough to soak the whole plate.