Clownfish embryo's O'Plenty

Carl

I joined WAMAS at the meeting last night - it was great meeting/talking with many of you - I look forward to learning/sharing with the group.

I am the guy who has had the 500 gallon tank sitting on my basement floor for a year and a half, and have been too overwhelmed to start the project. But after speaking with a few of you last night - I now have a goal of Dec 31, 2006 to be completed !!!

I noticed that last summer the club had "Tank Tours". Is this something that is on-going? I would love to see some larger tank set-ups...getting lessons learned...before I start down the wrong path.

On another note - I have a 5 year-old, 70 gallon reef tank. 2 powerheads, bakpak skimmer, 3 Power Compact 90Watt lights. I've noticed a patch about 2 inches square of what could be clown-fish eggs right where my percula clowns hang out. Now what do I do?

What could be good news (if these are in-fact eggs, and I have to get them out of the tank) is that the patch of eggs is ON my powerhead.

-Carl

What color are the eggs? Sure they're not valonia? :)

In any case, I'm in the process of setting up a 180G inwall aquarium. I mean, it hardly holds a candle to your 500 setup :77: , but you may find some of it interesting. I also have a 75 that's about 6 years old -- though it's been moved three times along the way. I'm in Vienna VA -- you're welcome to drop by any evening just about. As long as I have some notice and can warn the wife.

Thanks Emissary

I would love to come by and see your setup. I don't see a big difference between a 100 gallon setup and a 1000 setup...unless I'm missing something. They each would have plumbing, a recirculating pump, sump tank, skimmer, lights, R/O filter, top-off etc...

What I'm most interested in is how to make my life (maintenance) as easy as possible. Initially - Plumbing, ball valves, one-way valves, what happens when electricity goes out or pump fails (my used tank already has 5 holes in the BOTTOM), top-off, fresh water and pre-mix tanks. Not put in initially, but leave room for other mechanicals - chiller, Calcium Reactor , other??

After viewing your website I've picked up on a few things already - i.e. -put a drain in the floor, have a 40 gallon holding tank of water.

I sent you an e-mail...let me know if you've received it.

-Carl

Carl,

Welcome to the club! You might consider starting a thread on your tank planning and construction like some others have done. You'll be sure to get lots of ideas and critiques, as well as encouragement, from other reefers.

As Garrett said, Clownfishes is recognized as one of the most authoritative books on breeding clownfishes. If you're at all interested in the fish breeding side of the hobby, I recommend reading the book.

There's a few good threads here and on ReefCentral on fish breeding that will give you an idea of the amount of time and materials that go into it. You should take a look to see what you're getting into if you think you might want to try raising them. I've just starting to try to raise neon gobies, and it's keeping me busy. If I can get my oscellaris clowns to lay some eggs, I'll raise them too!

Good luck,

Jon

Jon - thanks for your input on the clowns and the tank. Right now, I don't have the time/capacity to try and raise/feed the clownfish eggs.

But if you (or anyone else) would like to try and raise them, let me know, and I will give them to you. The good/bad news is that they are all on my powerhead...so I can let you borrow the powerhead...if you have another one that I can borrow until they hatch.

As far as the new tank goes...I will do that...because I need all the help/suggestions I can get.

-Carl