Drilling another hole in a RR tank...possible?

CoralAquaCulture

You're right around the corner from me. I just drilled my first tank, so if you want somebody to stand over your shoulder with a cold one throwing out useless advice, let me know! What size drill bit did you end up getting?

Stuck with a 45 mm drill bit as both the other holes are 1"...made sense.

I'll keep you posted on when I get the bit...coming from Hong Kong so who knows when it will get here,

Stuck with a 45 mm drill bit as both the other holes are 1"...made sense.

I'll keep you posted on when I get the bit...coming from Hong Kong so who knows when it will get here,

Roger that. If it works out, would love you use it when you're done. Maybe something can go the other way around, I've arranged with a forum member to pick up the same size, you know, if it ever stops snowing.

So...I answered my own question today. Yes it can. Pictures below.

Building the putty dam along with making a template for where the hole will be going. Also, I put a bunch of tape underneath the hole so the glass hole didn't fall out and hit anything (made after shot).

30163014-A10B-4808-910E-5E592BC554B9_zps

I guess I didn't think about this before hand but the trim of the tank isn't flush with the glass so my dam started to leak from the left side. This wasn't a big deal but made clean up a bit more than expected.

952D4A02-D55A-4076-A837-8673591CFF0C_zps

This shot shows the hole at 80% - 85% complete...I think I stopped two or three times during the process to confirm that I was level.

17A506C6-5D24-4E52-9D3B-A30749176856_zps

The hole is by no means perfect but for my second attempt at drilling (practiced on an old tank first), I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. The top of the glass puck is a little chipped as pictured (it don't affect the integrity of the tank). A water test of the bulkheads will be preformed tomorrow to confirm.

EE7566C9-7C27-42EC-A3E0-136E84758AA7_zps
0F709F95-E003-4E0A-9ED4-63D32449A368_zps
89A5467C-627A-4E74-BE01-DA835D2D05DC_zps
Edited by CoralAquaCulture