SKIMMER Chamber

Caribbean Jake

Jacob,

With the space issue you have under your system, I'd look at a DIY with Acrylic pieces OR do like Bob did and build a wood frame around a large tank besides your main tank to house a larger sump? 30 - 40 gallons should do fine.

Howard

Jake, I'm not sure what you mean by skimmer chamber. Are you referring to the tube itself or a box for the bottom? Or, are you referring to something that you can put the entire skimmer into such as a sump?

Dave

I mean the cylinder and cup collector that makes the body of a skimmer. I already have the pipes, tubing and Sedra pump.

Howard

DIY acrylic pieces. Where can I find some ideas and material to get started?

Dave

I mean the cylinder and cup collector that makes the body of a skimmer.  I already have the pipes, tubing and Sedra pump.

Howard

DIY acrylic pieces.  Where can I find some ideas and material to get started?

49558[/snapback]

Jake, check with Tim (Folta), he put together the Kalk Reactor build party and ordered our parts.

Garrett.

Hey Jake, you can also make your own out of PVC pipe. If you want to see through it, cut off one side of the pipe, add a strip of acrylic to it, and you'll have a viewing window into the world of your skimmer.

Hey Jacob,

For the tubes I ordered them from 'simply acrylics'. The guy sells them in 72" sections. He cut them to length needed for the party (24") for about a buck per cut. The total came to just under $20 per 2' tube. Note that these are extruded and not cast tubing - more prone to stress cracks, harder to work with, etc.

The guy has an ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/SIMPLY-ACRYLICS

He replies pretty fast to questions, too, which I found to be really nice.

Tim