Two tank side by side for sump

linkfalcon

Hey well I bought a 300gall tank was think of doing two 75 gallon tanks as my sump use one a a fuge and other for skimmer link the two tank together with bulkheads

What y'all think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who did this recently?  I saw it in a talk.  Maybe it was Copps' winter talk that had two tanks linked together into one big sump using bulkheads and a pvc between them, one as a fuge and one as a growout or something?

Personally, 

I would drill 2 or 3 holes near the top of the tank on one tank and raised it higher than the 2nd so that you can gravity flow from 1st tank to 2nd. For 2nd tank you can partition into 2 sections for skimmer and return.

This way, you don't have to drill 2 tanks! 

I did two tanks, one for skimmer and one for the fuge. I have one drain from the display that I split. I connected the two at the bottom and have my pump next to the skimmer. It took some practice with getting the water levels right. Pm if I can help any.

Personally, 

I would drill 2 or 3 holes near the top of the tank on one tank and raised it higher than the 2nd so that you can gravity flow from 1st tank to 2nd. For 2nd tank you can partition into 2 sections for skimmer and return.

This way, you don't have to drill 2 tanks! 

+1. Instead and drill 2 or 3 holes i drilled only 1 hole with 1" bulk head to the second tank with skimmer and return.  the refuge will get partial of water from display and the second tank would get majority of water from dt.

My sump and refugium are two separate tanks. The refugium is lower than the sump, so water goes from tank to sump to refugium. There is a large return in the sump, and a small return in the refugium. The water level stays even in the sump so no problems with skimmer, and the ATO float switch is in the refugium but the top off water goes to the sump.