Waiting period to go bb?

hawkfish01

Ive decided that i want to keep some sps in my spec v build..but now that its been going since late nov '13-dec'13 im not feeling the sand in it now. I want to go bb so i can remove crap from bottom easier and be able to control params better.is there a "waiting period" or can i do anytime??

Your tank is new enough with only lps, I wouldn't worry about stirring anything up. I would siphon it all out with a water change and be done with it. Maybe spread it out over 2 50% water changes, not a big deal IMO.

I was thinking that too..make sure i take my one rock out and put into sw though..i do have one piece of sps(stylo) in there now and im getting another at our upcoming meeting from gsw3....and some more zoas(they will be the bottom cover..8)along with other goodies im sure..

Coral..i dont use a skimmer in this tank as it only has coral and 2 small hermits and 2 small snails..its a fluval spec v 5 gal and as roughly less than 1/2 inch deep bed(just enough to cover bottom glass ..)and i do weekly 1 1/2-2 gal changes on this tank..im just tired of seeing the scuzz and crap on the sand,i dont mind using airline tubing to remove mulm every day or so,its just knowing the mulm is sitting on the sand that annoys me..

Oh..this is an all in one like the biocube tanks, modified with a pump replacement for return and a in tank media rack..

The stuff you are seeing is part of any new tank, small or large, and it normally goes away after a few months. If you want to crank the flow up and keep SPS then BB is the way to go.

I cant crank up too high..i do have bubble coral and a torch...i dont want them to tear,esp.my bubble i just got from IC..but the pump i have is a marineland 606 rated for 152 gph and a koralia 240 nano for circulation,stylo seems happy,just need to order my fixture for my par bulb(i only have 3! All various watts)

Also,is this a good height for the koralia or should i lower it a little?Posted Image

Its on the right side of the pic... Thanks for all input...

Its done...dudnt think moving that little bit of sand would b such a PITA!! Also added a "bridge" to rockwork so i have another high spot for sps... Pics as soon as everyone is settled(very po'd frags right now..cant imagine why..8) )

Yep..foam/floss in place..may still have some junk floating around to siphon out once it settles...noticed difference already in briteness(just as well,using a t5fixture,10000k until get gooseneck clamp for par bulb)

Thx Coral..im seeing the debris will prob be collecting near the front panel where the filter system is..since did water change already will prob just siphon that out with airline or small gauge hose..i like it already..seems brighter...

Looking great! I also like the bare bottom look you've got going on as well.

Just added a new zoa from IC..just waiting for it to open...also at mtg next week will(hopefully no snow) to pick up 2 more zoa frags and a pocci frag....and yes,i will post pics of them too..8)

Oh my brother would like you...he likes sharks and rays...he likes the odd stuff...has a beaut blue reef lobster that was stark white when he got it because the lfs lights were brite and he had no hidey hole,tasseled filefish(loces people watching;no im not kidding..8). )